question

leftishut avatar image
leftishut asked

How many temp sensors should I use?

A temp sensor without a fuse came with the multiplus 24/3000. I can buy a (fused one?) for the shunt (bmv712) and I have ordered the Venus GX and returned the Ve.bus

Should I use the temp sensor for the multiplus on the multiplus? Should I buy more? How many? How many and where in this system?

(FYI - 4x battleborn 12v 100ah series parallel for 24v at 200ah)

Temperature Sensor
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Justin Cook avatar image
Justin Cook answered ·

Hi @Leftishut, the MultiPlus temperature sensor is not fused because it goes on the battery NEG terminal; the BMV temperature sensor is fused because it goes on the battery POS terminal and supplies power to the BMV shunt, replacing the shunt's original power wire.

That being said, since temperature compensation must be disabled on the MultiPlus when connected to LFP batteries and since the BB's BMSs will handle their own over/under temperature responses as necessary, I would personally recommend not installing the MultiPlus temperature sensor, and instead (if you want to keep an eye on battery temperature) installing a BMV temperature sensor - that way you have temperature monitoring capability through the BMV.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

leftishut avatar image
leftishut answered ·
  • Thank you.
2 |3000

Related Resources

Victron temperature sensor disambiguation table - which product supports which sensor