question

lpasca avatar image
lpasca asked

SmartSolar & BMV Configuration Help needed

Hi, this is my first experience with a DYI solar. I currently have:

- SmartSolar MPPT 100/20

- BMV-712 Smart

- Victron VE.Direct to USB Cable

- 2 x Ultracell UCG100-12 batteries (http://ultracell.co.uk/datasheets/UCG100-12.pdf) in series - for a 24V system

- 1 x 370W Monocrystalline Panel (https://www.philadelphia-solar.com/uploads/M72_5bb-PS11.pdf)

- PHOCOS PureSine 1000W inverter

I would need some help with the following:

1) Are these the correct battery settings for the SmartSolar for the batteries I have?
- Absobtion voltage: 28.8V

- Max Abs Ttime: 6h

- Float Voltage: 27.00V

- Equalization Voltage: 30.00V

- Temp Compensation: -32.4mV/C

2) What would be the correct setting for the BMV712?

2) Should I connect the BMV Shunt between the batteries and both the SmartSolar and Inverter, or just between batteries and inverter?

3) If I added a second panel the current from the PV will stay within the 20A, but will the Battery charge current also be limited to 20A or can it go higher?

4) Is there a way to get an hourly reporting of Watts, Amps and Voltage?

5) To connect both BMV and SmartSolar to a PC is the simplest way to use two VE.Direct to USB cables?

Sorry for the many questions.

Thanks.

Lucio

MPPT ControllersBMV Battery Monitor
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
wkirby avatar image
wkirby answered ·

1)The datasheet is a bit vague, but I'd go with:
Absorb 28.8V
Float 27.6V

Don't Equalise a gel battery.

If you want to be sure, then ask Ultracell directly.

2)Initially set the AH to 100Ah, go with default with the rest of the settings and then experiment with tail current and ending Amps to get it to autosync corretly.

2)The BMV shunt has two big terminals. The PBC has labelled one side BAT - You should connect ONLY battery - to this side ONLY! The other side is LOAD - here you connect everything that goes to negative. MPPT, Inverter, Lightbulb or whatever.

3)MPPT 100/20, this means the battery charge current is 20A Max. If you use two of those 370 PV panels then you will see Max. 20A (~500W) on a sunny day. But when it's cloudy the extra panel will be helpful.

4)For that sort of level of information you need to use a CCGX or Venus device and connect to Victron VRM. If you are starting out on a budget and know a bit about computers then you can run Venus on a RaspberryPi. BEWARE VRM is highly addictive!! :)

5)Yes, this is a good way for PC connection. If you decide to use a RaspberryPi like in answer 4, then you can also use those cables with that.

6)Not too many questions, I hope you have fun with your new system.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic