question

jordifax avatar image
jordifax asked

Color Control GX failing to start up

Hello,

The Color COntrol GX unit in our system fails to start up.

When we turn it on, it starts (Victron Logo appears as loading). Sometimes even initializes all together, but in any case it powers off shortly after. We test it by screwing / unscrewing the fuse holder.

The system contains:

- 2x Smart Solar MPPT 150/100

- 3x Quattros 8000/48 in parallel and 3 phase configuration

- Color Control GX (v.2.20)

- 1x BMV-702

Any idea of what can be causing the issue?

Thanks in advance,

Jordi

CCGX Color Control
muwl28271.mp4 (8.8 MiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
Murray van Graan avatar image
Murray van Graan answered ·

Hi @Jordi.Fax. Have you tried booting it alone, by plugging out all the connected items? BMV, MPPT, Quattros. Does it start then? Did the unit work before?

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

jordifax avatar image jordifax commented ·

@Murray van Graan Thanks for the answer. I can instruct people on site to try. But what would we win? Or is it only for troubleshooting?

It has been working correctly for the last 3 months or so.

0 Likes 0 ·
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) ♦♦ jordifax commented ·

Yes, if the unit works with all connections EXCEPT for the power supply disconnected, then it is most likely not a fault with the unit itself, and replacement might not solve the issues.

For example I have seen similar symptom caused by a faulty USB cable that had a non-visible internal short. So the power connection inside the USB was shorting to ground, this would cause the CCGX to reboot. Replacing the USB cable solved the problem.

0 Likes 0 ·
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

Hi @Jordi.Fax

When pressing the two top buttons, the CCGX will be reset. This is a pure hardware function.

if this failes, you can try to update firmware:

https://www.victronenergy.com/live/ccgx:firmware_updating_pre_v2_00

when the unit still doesn't start, please contact your dealer for repair.

4 comments
2 |3000

jordifax avatar image jordifax commented ·

@Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) So, this will reset the Color Control GX to factory settings?

We will then have to update all parameters, including the VRM remote console access and so on, right?

I am just a little afraid to do this remotely as the people on site is not really qualified...

Jordi
0 Likes 0 ·
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image Matthias Lange - DE ♦ jordifax commented ·

No, this will not reset the CCGX to the factory settings, it is just a way to force a reboot.

0 Likes 0 ·
jordifax avatar image jordifax Matthias Lange - DE ♦ commented ·

@M.Lange thanks for the information.

@Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) We have tried the manual reboot without any improvement. It stays the same: tries to start and then shuts down.

Seems it is gone...

0 Likes 0 ·
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ jordifax commented ·

Hi @Jordi.Fax

please contact your distributor for a replacement.

0 Likes 0 ·
ur12vman avatar image
ur12vman answered ·

Is there a way to save your CCGX settings to a memory card (or other option) so if replacing the unit you can reload the settings without doing it all manually?

I am having a rebooting issue with my ccgx as well, but it works for minutes or hours and reboots several times per hour. I have a new one on the way from my dist.

@Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager)

1 comment
2 |3000

Not yet, no.

0 Likes 0 ·