question

mike-rack avatar image
mike-rack asked

Why is my SCC not charging my batteries?

when I set the float voltage if I set to 14 volts when I go back to tell me what the battery at it now 14 volts and if I go to set a new float volts to 12 volts 2 sec later the battery is now 12 volts and no power is comin from the solar panels all it not charge the battery at all I sent it in for replacement the sent it back and told the was nothing wrong even when it was under warranty help get it working thank

MPPT Controllersbattery charging
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Justin Cook avatar image
Justin Cook answered ·

@Mike rack, if there's no power coming from the solar panels then this is a clear indication that something is wrong with the panels or the connection from panels to SCC; the most common cause of 0A harvest from PV input is a simple reverse polarity connection. If you have your POS and NEG PV inputs reversed, the controller will "see" that and will not attempt to draw any current from them.

You may also have a blown fuse at the battery; the SCC requires a fuse at the battery on the POS line from the SCC, and if that fuse has blown then the SCC cannot pass any current through to the battery.

If your Victron distributor tested your SCC and found it to be functional, then you should very carefully inspect every inch and every connection of the rest of your system, both from SCC to panels as well as SCC to battery, since the SCC has been eliminated as the cause of the fault. We cannot, unfortunately, help you with that inspection, since we're not there to physically inspect it with you. Simply put, take your multimeter and start looking at voltages, working from your SCC back to your panels until you find the problem; if you don't find a problem there, then go back to the SCC and work your way to the battery. It may be reversed polarity, it may be a loose connection, it may be a blown fuse; the only way to ascertain what the problem is, unfortunately, is to simply start working your way through the system until you find it.

Alternatively, it's highly recommended to engage a trained and experienced DC systems installer to inspect the entire system and fix the installation.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Related Resources

MPPT Product Page

MPPT Error codes

MPPT 150/60 up to 250/70 Manual

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic