question

chris2 avatar image
chris2 asked

Multiplus II discharging battery under min. SOC

Hi !

My Multiplus II sometimes discharges the battery with 4W or 9W when min. SOC has been reached. It switches between 0W, 4W and 9W in undefinable minutes, or even hours. I´ve set the min. SOC to 15 % .

As I looked into the system after about 12 hours later, the battery has been discharged to 11 %.
I don´t know if it would go under 10 %, because system started to charge at 11% at morning.

I´ve installed the system just a few days ago, so I don´t have much experience with it so far.

Does anyone face the same issue ? Did I set somehing wrong in the setup ?

System is running in ESS optimized mode without battery life, no scheduled charging.

1xMultiplus-II 3000
Venus GX
2x Pylontech US2000 4,8kWh
AC coupled PV-Inverter Fronius IGTL 4.0 connected to AC-in

Thanks in advance for your help !

Regards,

Chris

Multiplus-II
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

Hi @chris2

When the SOC reaches 5% below the set minimum SOC, it will recharge the battery back to the set SOC.

4 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

jdoern avatar image jdoern commented ·

yes but why is the system going under the minumum soc limit?

we do not want the system to recharge the battery at night!

0 Likes 0 ·
chippy-145 avatar image chippy-145 jdoern commented ·

Pylontech 2000 batteries can go as low as 10 percent this is in the pylontech manual so i assume the pylontech bms is controling this

0 Likes 0 ·
seb71 avatar image seb71 jdoern commented ·

"yes but why is the system going under the minumum soc limit?"

The inverter will no longer supply energy to AC loads when the battery reaches minimum SOC you set, but it (and devices like Venus GX, Cerbo GX, SmartShunt, BMV, MPPTs - powered from the DC bus, so only from the battery at night) still draw some energy from the batteries.

0 Likes 0 ·
thomasw-1 avatar image thomasw-1 commented ·

Is your GX-device powered by the DC-bus directly? In that case min 0,3kWh per day might be absorbed by GX directly, right? If you have no PV-supported charging during the day, the battery level gets reduced continously.

0 Likes 0 ·
jdoern avatar image
jdoern answered ·

We have exactly the same problem right now!

Is there a solution?

2 comments
2 |3000

It is normal behavior.

0 Likes 0 ·
jdoern avatar image jdoern Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ commented ·

yes but can you explain me in detail why this is the normal behavior?

0 Likes 0 ·
seb71 avatar image
seb71 answered ·

All DC powered devices (inverter, GX device, etc.) you have are discharging the battery. If you have a BMS, that also draws some energy from the battery. Over time, it all adds up.

1 comment
2 |3000

athlonfx avatar image athlonfx commented ·

I noticed the same behavior in my ESS system (Multiplus-II GX, Pylontech 2x US2000) and wondered why. I could not find an explanation in the ESS manual. Thanks for the information!

@Victron: Please add this information to the ESS manual.

0 Likes 0 ·
DeVo Tyler avatar image
DeVo Tyler answered ·

Youre devices are always drawing energy day and night to stay powered on. draw less energy from the battery of get a bigger battery bank to compensate.

hopefully I understood you're question.

2 |3000