question

nadnerb avatar image
nadnerb asked

SOC is always 100%

Hello,

I am using the Venus GX with a BMV-712 and my SOC is always reading 100%. We are using 4 12VDC batteries in a series-parallel configuration to get 24VDC. I have the shunt of the BMV-712 on the negative return for these batteries, and I am able to get readings on all other values (discharge rate, voltage, etc.) but the SOC is the only one that's not working. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

BMV Battery MonitorVenus GX - VGX
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

5 Answers
Justin Cook avatar image
Justin Cook answered ·

@nadnerb, there are two things to check right away: first and foremost, check to be sure that you have your battery bank's total Ah capacity programmed properly into the BMV. You haven't specified the Ah capacity of each of your batteries, but if they're all 100Ah batteries for instance, your total Ah capacity for the 4 batteries will be 200Ah, not 400, because you're running at 24v. That's a common-enough mistake that it's worth checking.

Also check to be sure that the shunt is connected in the correct orientation; yes, the shunt must be the only thing connected to the battery NEGs, but it's equally important to ensure that it's the "battery" side of the shunt that is connected to the batteries, and that all of your charge sources, loads, and chassis grounds are connected to the "loads and chargers" side of the shunt. If they're connected the wrong way round, the BMV will "see" your loads as a charge and so the SOC reading won't go down.

Check those two things and report back and we'll go from there!

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

georgebester avatar image
georgebester answered ·

Hi Justin

Thanks for this answer .

I also have a stick 100% SOC

Could not get it to move even after equalization.

Could not even get current through to the batteries from Mppt and AGM Gel batteries ran down to 29V . I bypassed shunt to power in / batteries and charged up batteries again to 100 % (charge amps Positive ) and tried to equalize -still stuck at 100% SOC. I reset shunt batteries to default and adjusted ah to 200 ah got 4 x 12v in series and charged to default 52.8v . still stuck at 100% SOC 1672576620624.png

I can test V across lynx -shunt and power in and distrib and its consistent with what the shunt says .

I also have a problem with mppt not charging the batteries

Next I went to Ve config and deselected battery monitor however confused about what this means see below n

1672576771970.png

Furthermore

Ive seen some wiring diagrams where the chassis ground from Multiplus is connected to the neg terminal of the lynx distributor. You will know if this only applies to marine / campervans but not to fixed grid tied ones where the N to PE is only supposed to be at the service entrance as I have a ve bus error 8

These Victron manuals are so vague

1672576620624.png (267.6 KiB)
1672576771970.png (196.3 KiB)
2 comments
2 |3000

lbj0611 avatar image lbj0611 commented ·
4 x 12v 100ah batteries in series is 100ah x 48v. You have it set at 200ah. Perhaps that setting is the issue.
0 Likes 0 ·
georgebester avatar image georgebester lbj0611 commented ·
Thanks LBJ - no my batteries are 200ah , Justin was talking about 100ah
1 Like 1 ·
kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

@georgebester

First suspect is your shunt settings. Please post a screen shot of them.

2 |3000

georgebester avatar image
georgebester answered ·

Thanks Kev . In order to just get power during load shedding here I did a temp test and bypassed the shunt - see below and managed to get the PV back up. Using the Mp2 as a BM.

I also disconnected the Ve.Can cables shunt.png

Once I can get the system reliable again Ill slowly try and get the Shunt back up and take screen screenshots of its settings

Still can not use assistants and ESS as I still cant resolve the Ground relay errors 11

I did come across this issue where the Mppt is not isolated and I was thinking if this could be causing the ESS grid code error

not-isolated.png

For now I'm trying to use Virtual switches for ignore Grid but I cant find a way to change the power it greyed out

1672769291513.png

One step forward and two steps back - what a waste of a holiday . The More Victron accessories you buy the more things that go wrong . Mppt stopped working ( can't get the 5 year warranty ) and now it looks like the shunt. Dealers here ( South Africa) are only interested in selling equipment.

So close to just buying a generator or a hybrid all in one system

not-isolated.png (187.2 KiB)
shunt.png (1.8 MiB)
1672769291513.png (89.7 KiB)
1 comment
2 |3000

Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ commented ·

And no the non isolated mppt will not cause the issue of error 11. If you are using ve can have the terninator in as shown in the manual.

Error 11 is related to AC wiring.

There are troubleshooting steps in the manual.

Sad you dont have the necessary training suport and help.

1 Like 1 ·
kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

I seem to rember @nickdb saying something about the reputation of your dealer. Sounds like you need a better dealer. They can't all be that bad.

2 |3000

Related Resources

Venus GX manual

Venus GX product page

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic