question

john-winters avatar image
john-winters asked

Why can't Victron Connect see my charger?

I've just bought a Victron Energy Blue Smart IP 65 charger for my leisure battery. As a charger it seems to be fine, but I can't get a Bluetooth connection to my phone.

I've installed the Android Victron Connect App from the Google Play Store and granted it the permissions which it wanted (Location and Storage). However, when I fire it up it says it can't see the charger. The list of devices to which it offers to connect is empty. This is despite the fact that if I do a Bluetooth browse from the OS Bluetooth page it can see the charger just fine (and indeed, pair with it).

I've tried restarting both charger and phone but the problem persists. I tried using an older phone and it worked on that, but I don't want to have to carry a separate phone just to use this one app.

Although I can see the charger from the OS pairing dialogue, and successfully pair with it, the app still won't talk to it. I then do a "forget" from the OS before going back to trying to establish a pairing within the app.

My phone is a Moto G7 Power, running Android 9.

Attached is a service report from the app.

VictronConnet_report.log

As a suggestion - and in the light of the multiple complaints from other users about the app requiring unnecessary permissions - it would make sense to stop trying to do the pairing from within the app. Let the OS dialogue handle the pairing in the way that's intended, then just use the device once it's been paired.

Bluetooth
3 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Hello @John Winters

Let us try again to get in contact with you, since you updated the play store review and still insisted that we did not answer. We did however leave two responses on this forum, the last one on the 2th of February. These responses are only visible to you (so you must be logged in) as these answers contain an email address that you used to register on this forum. We also also emailed to this address using our support system Helpscout, in an attempt to contact you that way. Can you please confirm that you have seen any of these attempts?

Kind regards,

Thiemo van Engelen

0 Likes 0 ยท
klim8skeptic avatar image klim8skeptic โ™ฆ Thiemo van Engelen (Victron Energy staff) โ™ฆ commented ยท
I look, and the OP has not replied, but Victron staff has??

Is some stuff hidden from contributors?

0 Likes 0 ยท
Alexandra avatar image Alexandra โ™ฆ klim8skeptic โ™ฆ commented ยท
@klim8skeptic

You can choose who sees your replies. Useful feature especially if there is information you dont want the world to know in the reply. It just means the person replying does not know that is what has happened and reply openly.

0 Likes 0 ยท
5 Answers
ddickov avatar image
ddickov answered ยท

Have you tried deleting the charger from the Bluetooth menu I know you canโ€™t pair it from there it should be left unpaired and then open the app and it does it itself if you have paired the phone to the charger in the phone menu then will need to delete it again reset all then try again hope it helps a bit

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

jperez (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
jperez (Victron Energy Staff) answered ยท

Thank you, we are looking at the log and investigating what can be wrong. We'll keep you informed.

2 |3000

jperez (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
jperez (Victron Energy Staff) answered ยท

Hello John,

We sent you an email through our support system a few days ago, did you received it?

2 |3000

john-winters answered ยท

I have un-installed and re-installed a couple of times without success. It did work just once, immediately after the phone had upgraded to Android 10, which made me hopeful but that turned out to be a fluke. Since then, 100% failure rate. As I mentioned in my Play Store review, I now have a second charger. The Bluetooth browser provided by the Android OS can see both of them, but the app insists it can see neither.

Application version is the latest one apparently available in the Play Store, dated 3/11/2020

2 |3000

john-winters answered ยท

This system is driving me mad. I am now apparently logged in but can no longer see your private response so can't check what you asked me to do with the extra app. I have however downloaded it and taken it to my van to test it. This app can't see the device either, but the OS can. See attached screen shots.

signal-2021-08-23-104403-002.png

I pressed the "SCAN" button a couple of times and it tried for 20-30 seconds each time but couldn't see anything. The OS's Bluetooth scanner can see it fine.

signal-2021-08-23-104403-001.png

1 comment
2 |3000

Hi @John Winters

I really hate to say it, but when the other app you downloaded also cannot see the victron product, VictronConnect will also not be able to see the product and the problem lies somewhere in the OS. It looks like it will (currently) not pass Bluetooth Low Energy advertisement information to regular applications, only to system services like the bluetooth menu. Perhaps a reboot of the phone helps and that made it work (temporarily) with the previous version of VictronConnect.

Just as a quick check, is the phone running the latest update of the OS?

Kind regards,

Thiemo van Engelen

0 Likes 0 ยท

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic