question

fotodadi avatar image
fotodadi asked

Quattro 48/15000/200-2x100 fails to charge from bulk unless after a hard reset.

So I had a problem with my previous Quattro 48/10000 and could never get it to charge my batteries above 80 amps which got me running my generator for so much longer than I needed to. The story is https://community.victronenergy.com/questions/31438/how-do-i-get-my-victron-quattro-to-charge-batttery.html?childToView=31825#answer-31825 .

Eventually I decided to upgrade to the 48/15000 which is running on a firmware version 459.

Everything works, more or less, perfectly, until my generator comes on at 70% SOC. The unit goes straight away to float even though the batteries are low on charge. Nothing worked (tried all sorts on combinations on the charger tab of the VEConfig) until I re-started the unit from the toggle switch on the front panel. Switching the unit OFF and the ON a few seconds later brings the charger to bulk and all is well.

I do not have this problem when grid power comes on and the batteries need charging. The Quattro goes to bulk then adsorption and eventually float (when the batteries are full)

Can anyone suggest what I can do to avoid the constant need to restart the unit?

MPPT ControllersMultiPlus Quattro Inverter Chargerbattery charging
2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

fotodadi avatar image fotodadi commented ·

Any suggestions from anyone?

0 Likes 0 ·
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ fotodadi commented ·

Hi @Fotodadi

Ben's answer was probably spot on for the reason it doesn't go to bulk.

But you didn't answer his questions about the battery voltage when this happens, do you have any other charging sources in the system?

0 Likes 0 ·
2 Answers
ben avatar image
ben answered ·

(The link doesn't work for me.)

Can you give some precise details about the moment you start the generator?

What are:

• configured Float voltage?
  • state of Quattro right before generator starts?
  • measured DC voltage on Quattro?
  • measured DC voltage on BMV, if applicable?

Are you using the Vsense lines on your Quattro?

What kind of battery is this?

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

fotodadi avatar image
fotodadi answered ·

Can't seem to get the link working so I copied and pasted the address...

To answer your questions.

Configured float voltage and charger settings are in the picture.

I don't start the generator. The Color GX starts the relay at SOC 70% and the Quattro was "Inverting" prior to the gen start.

Battery monitoring is via the VE.Bus on the quattro.

Need to check the measure/check voltage next time it happens....didn't check.

Batteries are AGM

1 comment
2 |3000

ben avatar image ben ♦ commented ·

Got it.

With lead acid batteries, including AGM, I'm pretty sure the inverter will not switch to bulk charging unless one of two things happens:

1) You turn it off and back on, as you have been doing.

2) The measured DC voltage drops 1.3V/2.6V/5.2V below the configured float voltage for 12/24/48V units respectively.

In your case, then, you would need to see a sustained DC voltage of about 47.6V in order to trigger bulk mode.

0 Likes 0 ·