question

mosslandingcreatures avatar image
mosslandingcreatures asked

Lithium batteries and saltwater?

I hear lithium batteries immediately die (or worse) when immersed in saltwater. Torqeedo and others produce an IP 67 or 68 battery. Why aren’t there any group 31 lithium’s that are waterproof?

Skiffs have to come ashore through the surf. Occasionally the skiff broaches and fills with water. What happens to a lithium battery in a vented battery box? Does this mean lithium electric mother ship tenders must never be pooped or rolled? Why no IP rated GROUP 31 BATTERY BOXES?

offtopic
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Justin Cook avatar image
Justin Cook answered ·

@Mosslandingcreatures@gmail.com, where did you hear this? Any battery in the world will have extreme problems if immersed in saltwater, given that saltwater is highly conductive and immersion in saltwater will short the terminals of any battery - Pb or LFP or any other chemistry. This is not a unique problem, and I find no evidence to suggest that LFP is any more susceptible to the issue than any other battery chemistry.

Furthermore, 2 seconds on Google using the search term "waterproof group 31 battery box" yields over a dozen first-page results that are readily available for purchase, so unless I'm misunderstanding your question, this is a non-issue.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

anthem avatar image
anthem answered ·

torqueedo makes lithium batteries that suit your need, so not sure why you dont pursue that avenue. All they do to make their batteries ip67 is that they encase them and have their connection ip67 water proof. You could do the same with a victron if you wanted to find a case that would do that along with the connection method. The actual battery inside is not waterproof, its what they choose to package/market the battery for.

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic