question

bmac avatar image
bmac asked

EasySolar absorption & float voltage

Easysolar, using VEConfig to alter absorption and float voltages to suit FLA batteries. Connect via Mk3 to USB, update settings then retrieve settings to check are correct to what i have updated.

But no difference in actual absorption and float voltages batteries are getting charged at, they are still what they were before not my updated values.

Am i missing a trick somewhere?

Cheers,

Brett.

EasySolar All-in-One
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

bmac avatar image bmac commented ·

Hi Guy,

Can someone from Victron (or anyone else too!) please provide a DEFINITIVE response :

Unit : EasySolar 48/3000/35 MPPT 150/70 Bluesolar

Need to: Configure MPPT and monitor as per VictronConnect or other tool

& Monitor EasySolar

Particulars :

• No internet other than hotspot from phone
  • Windows 10 laptop
  • Samsung S5 phone
  • Have MK3 to USB adapter
  • 100% offgrid

How can I do this? Starting to pull my hair out now.........aaaaagh.

I need to change settings to suit my FLA batteries & monitor.

Thanks

0 Likes 0 ·
3 Answers
JohnC avatar image
JohnC answered ·

Hi bmac. We need to ask the question/clear something up. You may be well aware, but maybe not..

The procedure you've described above applies to only the Multi within. Ie. for the ac-driven (genny/grid) charger. But not the solar mppt. So your solar will continue on with default settings.

That's a separate procedure to change, but without going into the hows, just need confirmation of where you really are with this.

I've never had issues getting VEConfig3 to stick in the Multi (using CCGX), but that's as far as my Easy will let me go without addons/firmware developments.

I actually hope this is your position. Means all is normal..

8 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Hi John - to confirm was trying to change the MPPT settings. Probably a bit of blinkered thinking on my behalf as i'm offgrid so my battery charging is 99.9% done through the MPPT so whenever i see absorption and float mentioned i automatically assume it is talking about the MPPT.

0 Likes 0 ·
JohnC avatar image JohnC ♦ bmac commented ·

Yeh ok. That's fine, a lot of this kit can be mindboggling as it 'evolves'.

If your Easy is brand-spanking new, it *may* have a Smartsolar mppt aboard, rather than a Bluesolar. Maybe try downloading VictronConnect to a phone and see if it can pick up a bluetooth signal within. If not, you'll likely need to add a bluetooth dongle.

'Future Development' may indeed make this also possible via a GX box. I await that patiently.. :)

0 Likes 0 ·
bmac avatar image bmac JohnC ♦ commented ·

Thanks John.

Ok, got it. The MK3 to USB & VEConfigure can only configure parts of the EasySolar - yep easy to get confused as the product info says it can be used to configure the EasySolar.

The MPPT is Bluesolar. Using laptop to configure the other parts of the EasySolar & prefer to do it all from the laptop rather than chop and change.

Am i correct - the VE.Direct to USB interface cable is what i need to talk to the MPPT?

If it is, that port on the MPPT already has a cable going to the CCGX - am i meant to unplug that cable on the MPPT or do i plug it into the back of the ccgx?????

0 Likes 0 ·

I think you'll need the bluetooth dongle regardless. I don't think the usb will work for that, which does seem strange. But I'll stand corrected and pleasantly educated if you can. Any Vicron techs to confirm??

But I do recall somewhere Matthijs suggesting this mppt access is 'under development' for doing it via GX/VRM. Wouldn't that be nice?

0 Likes 0 ·

Sitting here scratching my head wondering what I've missed? What it was is your early mention of an MK3, and I presumed you had a smaller Easy without a CCGX. Then you throw it in. You didn't actually need the MK3, the GX can manage VEConfigure fine for the Multi. But don't curse, the MK3 is needed for firmware updates to the Multi, yet firmware comes down via GX for the BlueSolar.

Fun stuff, hey. You're excused for being confused. :)

0 Likes 0 ·
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) ♦♦ JohnC ♦ commented ·

There is a light at the end of the tunnel!

0 Likes 0 ·
JohnC avatar image JohnC ♦ Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) ♦♦ commented ·

Hi Guy. Ta for responding to my little armwave for assistance. Now I know too. :)

I think the Easy is an inspired product. When it was first introduced I had to have one, then had to wait 5 weeks.. it was worth the wait.

But yeh, the comms need a little tidying up to be truly Easy.

Ta for the carrot too, yeh I'm sure it will happen.. Cheers.

0 Likes 0 ·

Hi John. I tried previously to configure the charger using the CCGX but didn't see anything in there to allow me to turn on the low power consumption mode AES. The shop i bought the unit from recommended the MK3 to USB to do this & configure the EasySolar hence why i bought the MK3 to USB adapter.

Thanks John for your input. I reckon it's a great bit of kit too - though

still to see in practice the pathway between the VE website showing it's all configurable which in a literal sense may be true but what i thought was straight forward to do with the CCGX & MK3 to USB not able

0 Likes 0 ·
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) answered ·

Hello bmac,

JohnC has done a great job, and there are only a few things to clear up now.

I am sorry for the confusion around this. Victron is working really hard this year to simplify this whole situation.

Until then...

To program the BlueSolar MPPT, depending on your software platform you can use either the USB to VEdirect cable or the VEdirect to bluetooth adaptor.

https://www.victronenergy.com/live/victronconnect:start

You will need to disconnect the BlueSolar MPPT from the CCGX for programming. The SmartSolar can stay connected due to inbuilt bluetooth, no external adapter required.

If you don't know which one you have, download and open the VictronConnect App and see if the unit appears when you are standing nearby it with the Bluetooth on your phone enabled.

PS Thank you for bringing our attention to the MK3USB page description, I have requested that it gets updated to be more specific that the MK3USB is only for the inverter/charger configuration and firmware in the EasySolar.

6 comments
2 |3000

Hi Guy,

Yep agreed, appreciate John's responses.

Agree too there is a need to tidy stuff up so it is clearer how it all hangs together. Understand it takes time, seems to be an unlimited release of new models which makes it very hard to catch up!

Definitely have BlueSolar.

0 Likes 0 ·
bmac avatar image bmac bmac commented ·

Have to break response in two - even though less than 600 char won't accept the response.

So....cont'd :

If i disconnect the Bluesolar port and plug the cable or blue tooth dongle in you mention above and change parameters that's easy as it's a once off, but how do i use VictronConnect to be able to view live data from the Bluesolar if there is only one port on the BlueSolar that normally has the cable going to the CCGX?

Thanks

0 Likes 0 ·

Hi Brett. Have you yet discovered what your GX can do? It needs the web to show it's full talents. An ethernet cable or a (Victron) wifi dongle will open a new world, and if you're not already aware, will amaze..

https://vrm.victronenergy.com/

0 Likes 0 ·

Thanks John no dedicated internet connection at home. I use my phone as a hot spot. VRM seems to be just a monitoring site not for product configuration.

0 Likes 0 ·

Yeh Brett. It's an *excellent* monitoring website. Does have 'Remote Console' though, which is a functional CCGX screen. Bit sluggish from the German website to the other side of the world, but that remote access is available locally once allocated a LAN address. I do that with a wifi hotspot and Win laptop (clumsily), and fool with VEConfig there. Yeh it works.

Anyhows, good thread, and ta for asking. We squeaky-wheels will get oiled one day..

Cheers Pal. 'Stay Charged'.

0 Likes 0 ·

Cheers John.

0 Likes 0 ·
JohnC avatar image
JohnC answered ·

Hi Brett. I'll have a stab at your sub-question. "Definitive" it won't be, but a 'best effort'.

Grab a VE.Direct bluetooth dongle https://www.victronenergy.com/panel-systems-remote-monitoring/ve-direct-bluetooth-smart-dongle and plug into your Bluesolar. Perhaps directly at the bottom/rear of your Easy. Pull whatever cable is using the port you want if there's no spare. It'll just be for the CCGX, which you're not using.

Pray your phone is compatible, and make your adjustments. Monitor from there too.

To step up your monitoring after this adjustment, reinstate the CCGX plug you may have pulled, and try this--

Phone wifi hotspot > link to Win10 laptop. Add ethernet cable to link laptop to rear of CCGX. Invoke Win ICS, which is only about 3 clicks from the desktop (ask, hey). Sign into VRM, and your browser will show you the best monitoring you ever dreamt of.

Win ICS will allocate a LAN address of 192.168.137.xxx, and if you type that into another browser tab, you'll have the CCGX screen on your laptop. Yeh it works, just like the buttons on the GX.

But with FLA batts i'm still not sure why you want to adjust the Victron defaults. I found them spot-on. They'll move with temp-compensation, so don't let that throw you. Whatever you want..

All too hard? If a 70yo amateur can do it, anyone can.. :)

4 comments
2 |3000

Hi John - i'll take your "best effort" as a "great effort" & do so appreciatively.

First port of call is i'll get the dongle and give it a crack on my phone, if no go got a samsung tablet so although frustratingly the dongle won't work with Windows 10 i should be all good on this front, fingers crossed! (batts are trojan spre 06 255 and the default settings only match on 1 out of 3 values hence why i wish to change the settings).

Thinking writing to sd card might do the trick to monitor performance at the monent.

Thanks again.

0 Likes 0 ·
eric-heiberg avatar image eric-heiberg commented ·

Hi !

I would also like to adjust settings on my MPPT 150/70 (specifically alter charging parameters) in my Easysolar -and I am considering to buy a Victron Bluetooth Dongle for this.

However, I read online that the dongle can only be used for smaller MPPT's -is this correct?

Eric

0 Likes 0 ·
Mark avatar image Mark ♦♦ eric-heiberg commented ·

No it can be used for any size MPPT, as long as it has a VE.Direct plug (as opposed to VE.Can).

0 Likes 0 ·
eric-heiberg avatar image eric-heiberg Mark ♦♦ commented ·

Thank you very much Mark !

Eric

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic