question

bob2 avatar image
bob2 asked

BYD batteries will not charge from AC-in.

New installation:
Victron EasySolar 3000
Batteries: BYD B-BOX, 4 units = 10 KwH
3x Solar Panel REC-TwinPeak-2 (290w), hoping to expand later.
Additionally, the load is a DC freezer so as the EasySolar doesn't output DC (disappointing) I have to take DC power directly from the BYD, so I have a BMV-700battery monitor.

AC-in works when I connect an AC load, but AC-in never charges the batteries (and it's cloudy now).

Batteries have gradually dropped from 57% to 33%.

My installer set the AC-in to charge batteries when they get down to 50% full. Maybe I need to connect laptop to check this?

Any other ideas?

Thanks in advance!

EasySolar All-in-OneBYD
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

bob2 avatar image bob2 commented ·

@Guy Stewart (Victron Energy Staff) (I'm new and you looks like you're the resident expert)

0 Likes 0 ·
5 Answers
bob2 avatar image
bob2 answered ·

SOLVED.

While looking for Ethernet config on the CCGX to do remote support over VRM, I found this:

Settings > ESS > Minimum SOC (unless grid fails)

It was set to 10%, I’ve changed it to 50%.

Now I have 2050W coming in from the grid and 1680W going into the battery, great! (bit of difference between those 2 figures…?) and the big cooling fan is now blasting at the top.

3 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Great news, thanks for the update.

I can appreciate where you are coming from and wanting to learn about the system yourself.

It’s a fine line to walk sometimes between being helpful with pointers and guidance and getting some professionally trained help to get it right.

Glad to hear you are making progress. And if find something that could be better explained in the documentation, please let me know. So we can make it easier and clearer for the next person.

0 Likes 0 ·

Could the difference between those figures be due to loads?

0 Likes 0 ·
bob2 avatar image bob2 Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) ♦♦ commented ·

No, the max load is 120W and it's DC, so it's taken directly from the batteries. I have a BMV-700.

0 Likes 0 ·
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) answered ·

Is this an ESS system?

Where was it programmed to charge from AC-Input? On the CCGX colour screen or in the Multi via VEConfigure?

In my BYD ESS system I have set up a scheduled charge in the ESS menu to charge up to 50% from midnight to 6am.

I have also set a minimum battery voltage of 50V before the AC-in (grid) will also charge the batteries.

I presume when you say AC-in you are talking grid, and not generator?

2 |3000

bob2 avatar image
bob2 answered ·

Wow, immediate response on a Saturday, impressed. (Though lack of easysolar3000 manual is less impressive.)

ESS, not sure as I'm not home right now, how do i tell?

Programmed from installer's laptop, so VEConfigure i guess.

AC-in = grid.

Thanks.

2 |3000

Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) answered ·

Hi Bob,

Welcome to the community. This equipment is not really intended for end-user configuration without experience and training. The best place to get info on your system right after it as been installed is from the installer themselves.

There are a lot of potential variables that set the behaviour you are looking for, and it can be quite complicated to run through them all without the full design. It can also be a simple explanation too though.

The EasySolar is best thought of as a convenient box combination of the Multiplus, MPPT and Color Control. The individual manuals can be used.

2 |3000

bob2 avatar image
bob2 answered ·

I appreciate the help as i want to be able to support my system myself.

Can i get training?

2 |3000

Related Resources

Victron BYD battery compatibility guide

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic