question

andrewg avatar image
andrewg asked

Disconnect solar when no battery

If I need to remove a battery from a system, when solar is connected, the circuit remains live so long as solar energy is available. Does the Victron charge controller (BlueSolar 75/15) have a feature whereby it switches off (effectively isolating the solar) if it senses that there is no battery?

MPPT Controllersbattery
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Murray van Graan avatar image
Murray van Graan answered ·

The correct procedure would be to isolate the PV first, before disconnecting the battery as it could lead to a bunch of errors forcing the MPPT into shutdown. It is possible to disable charging however, using VictronConnect. Under battery settings is a charger enable switch.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

sportswagoneer avatar image sportswagoneer commented ·

If I disable charging in Victron Connect - is it safe to leave the PV panel connected during winter while the LFP bank is disconnected as well? Or should I physically disconnect the PV wires as well? (There will still be voltage in the system since a shore power supply will provide 12V to lights, router, cerbo etc.)

0 Likes 0 ·
Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·

@andrew.g

https://www.victronenergy.com/upload/documents/Manual-BlueSolar-charge-controller-MPPT-75-10,-75-15,-100-15,-100-20,-100-20-48V-EN-NL-FR-DE-ES-SE-.pdf

In short the answer is no. If you refer to the manual, page 7 section 3.4 connection procedure, you will see that for the mppt to work it needs to read the system voltage. The mppt will only switch on if the panel voltage it 5v above the system voltage.

2 |3000

Related Resources

MPPT Product Page

MPPT Error codes

MPPT 150/60 up to 250/70 Manual

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic