question

paddyglenny avatar image
paddyglenny asked

Setting up ccgx but it will not connect to wifi

Hi Guys, hope you can help me. I am setting up a ccgx for the first time and am having difficulty getting it to connect to the wifi. The status says "disconnected'. I have been through the troubleshooting guide but although it says "connected" status is a prerequisite for connecting to the portal, it doesn'the say any more, it it gives no help on what to do if it says "disconnected". It has a choice of two wifi networks here, both of which appear on the list and I have entered the passwords for both. For each network it give a mac address but no ip address, netmask or gateway. The fields just show zeros. I know the networks are working fine as this computer is using one to send this message and I am having no problems accessing the Web. What now?

CCGX Color Control
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
ejrossouw avatar image
ejrossouw answered ยท

Hello @PaddyGlenny Ensure the IP Configuration setting is set to automatic. If this is not the problem, it may also be an idea to experiment setting up a wifi hotspot on you mobile phone as a test and see if it will connects to that. Otherwise it may be at the router end.

1581510207305.png (35.2 KiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

paddyglenny avatar image
paddyglenny answered ยท

Thanks so much for your help. I just checked and for both networks the ip configuration as showing "unknown". So I selected the next level where I could choose automatic or manual and checked the "automatic" option. But still no connection and still no ip address then I realised the ip configuration had returned to unknown. So I tried manual but the same thing happens. As soon as I'be checked the box and come back out, it has returned to unknown. Hmmmm...As far as trying it with my hotpot, there is zero cell signal here so there is nothing to pass on via the hotpot, as it were. I'll that a try even though the hotspot will be firing blanks but seeing as the ccgx won't accept my ip configuration setting, I suspect the result will be the same.

2 |3000

paddyglenny avatar image
paddyglenny answered ยท

Just tried it with my phone hotspot and it works!!! So it is connected to my hotspot but as I said before, the 100% absence of phone signal means I still can't connect to the portal....and anyway even if I could I can't leave my phone here obviously so will still need to get it working on the wifi here at the client's house. Any ideas?

4 comments
2 |3000

ejrossouw avatar image ejrossouw commented ยท

At least we know that it is at the router end you need to explore further. ;)

0 Likes 0 ยท
paddyglenny avatar image paddyglenny ejrossouw commented ยท

Indeed...feels like some progress at least...and thanks for putting me on the right track.

0 Likes 0 ยท
klim8skeptic avatar image klim8skeptic โ™ฆ paddyglenny commented ยท

Most new routers do 2.4 & 5 ghz.

Might be worth looking if 2.4 has been turned off.

0 Likes 0 ยท
ejrossouw avatar image ejrossouw klim8skeptic โ™ฆ commented ยท

He can see both networks and enter passwords.

0 Likes 0 ยท
Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ยท

How far away is the wifi router. Sometimes it is just a tad too far to establish a good enough connection to register securely. I have found getting a slightly more powerful wifi dongle or a range extender helped.

1 comment
2 |3000

paddyglenny avatar image paddyglenny commented ยท

Hi Alexandre, the wifi router is about 15 metres away but on the other side of a couple of walls. But I bought the expensive one, sold as a Victron part, which they describe as the long range one. Plus both my phone and tablet pick up the wifi strongly.....but the fact that it works using my phone hotspot sure would suggest that you may well be right. I will try getting the wifi router moved nearer.

0 Likes 0 ยท