question

Jon S avatar image
Jon S asked

MPPT 150/85 TR uses wrong battery voltage

How do I get the MPPTs to get battery voltage from the batteries themselves, the lynx shunt, or the CCGX? All of these things have the correct voltage but the MPPTs are sensing 14.x

I have the following setup. CCGX, Victron LiPo 300amp batteries, Quatro 5000, Lynx Ion 1000 shunt, 2 MPPT 150/85 TR, D400 Wind Generator, dual Balmar 220 amp alternators.

My MPPTs are sync'd in a Bluetooth network and connected to the CCGX via USB. I thought they would get the batteries state from the CCGX. For some reason they detect 14.x voltage and go to absorbtion way too early. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,

Jon

MPPT Controllersvoltage
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Justin Cook avatar image
Justin Cook answered ·

@Jon have you checked the voltage at the batteries using a multimeter? With those batteries, and all those potential charge sources, it's very possible that the MPPTs are seeing 14.x at the batteries, if one of those other charge sources is charging simultaneously.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Jon S avatar image Jon S commented ·

@Justin Cook yes I have and it shows the same reading that is displayed on the CCGX as well as what the batteries report when connecting to them with the Victron Connect app.

My only thought is when one of the MPPTs comes on it detects the right voltage. When the other one comes it detects 14.x this info is shared to the first charger via the Bluetooth network they are in and they both switch to absorption.

It could also be the wind generator in the charge mode, but when I was testing this last there was no wind and it was not moving at all.

What I want to know is if there is a way for these MPPTs to get voltage info from, the batteries via Bluetooth, CCGX, the Quattro 5000, or the Lynx Ion 1000 shunt. All these things have the proper voltage.

0 Likes 0 ·
Jon S avatar image
Jon S answered ·

Looks like I had 2 post of the same topic. With the help of Daniel from Victron this issue has been solved. I am re-posting here because others were following.

I wanted to give everyone the final update on this issue. First off thank you Daniel for all your efforts to educate me on my setup. Without your support my issue would not have been solved.

The solution to get both MPPTs to charge correctly was several things.

1 - enable DVCC. This required firmware for all parts of the system to be updated (versions listed below).

2. MPPTs - need to be updated to 1.47 and disable the ve.smartnetworking (eg bluetooth network) they were connected in.

Firmware versions currently being used:

CCGX - 2.53

MPPT - 1.47

Lynx Shunt - 1.08

Quatro 5000 - Product ID 2633 Firmware 474

I upgraded the Quatros on the morning of May 11th and setup DVCC. As you can see, after that date, the only day the MPPTs went to float were because we had reached 100% (I had left the boat connected to shore power over night so we were already at 100% in the morning). We are an all electric galley and I turned on the hot water heater which is why we still generated 5kWh that day.

Cheers,

Jon

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

MPPT Product Page

MPPT Error codes

MPPT 150/60 up to 250/70 Manual