question

denzel avatar image
denzel asked

Multiplus losing power when grid fails

Hi Guys,

After the latest firmware upgrade 2610465 I noticed that when my grid fails anything connected to the Victron Multi turns off for about 20secs and then returns.

For some reason it looks like the auto change over inside the Victron is delayed in a way.

I have the following :

3000/24/70 Multi

2*240h Omni Power batteries

150/70 Charge Controller

BMV-700

I am running ESS

Firmware is 2610465

Tried UPS option selected on and off no joy.

Tried selecting Power factor on and off no joy.

MultiPlus Quattro Inverter ChargerESS
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) answered ·

Hi @Denzel,

I had a look at the VRM information for your site "Victron Knelsby", is that the site you are talking about with the issue?

I could only see one time when the AC output voltage dropped to 0 V in the last 7 days during an AC input (grid) outage.

During the outage a 2kW load came on, drawing ~120A from your 240 Ah batteries. This caused the battery voltage to drop from 25V to 23V, and the Multiplus then shut down due to low battery voltage.

Once the MultiPlus shut down, the load was gone and the battery voltage rebounded back to 25V and the Multi restarted.

If it was a different system you were seeing the issue with, apologies, if you could post the VRM name for that system instead, I will have a look and might be able to help there.

7641-screen-shot-2020-01-31-at-54852-pm.jpg

3 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

mnoneleli avatar image mnoneleli commented ·

Hi Guy,

I also have an easySolar 48V/5000VA/70A plus a 260AH/12V deep cycle Pb battery and grid assist( no feeding back to grid) .

NB: MY LOAD IS 289-TO- 350 WATTS.

One day there was load shedding when the SOC is 81 % ~ 44.00 V, the easysolar cut-off the load . When the grid came back again ,it did not operate again . I had to switch it on manually.

Again, yesterday , the SOC was 62% and ~44.00V the easysolar cut-off the load . However, this time when the grid came back again ,it operate again normally.

NB: I am expecting the inverter to continue working when there is still usable battery capacity (e.g 81% SOC)

Currebt VEconfig setting

DC input low shut-down

44.00 V

DC input low restart

48.00 V

DC input low pre-alarm

Inverter output voltage

230 V

0 Likes 0 ·
JohnC avatar image JohnC ♦ mnoneleli commented ·

Hi @Mnoneleli

The first thing to do if you're having issues is to ignore the reported SOC. It's a calculated figure, and you get to decide how it's calculated (if you choose). Presume it's wrong, and go back to V. Harsh reality.

44V can be easily reached with a load spike, even if your batts are in a better state. I leave my trip point at 37.2V (default?) and never get trips. Warnings occasionally from a much higher V, but they're spikes and never fold me up.

Please don't rely on a displayed SOC as gospel, unless you know *absolutely* that you've spent the time tuning it in and can rely on it. And even then, doubt as to it's usefulness should be the first thing you sense when issues crop up.

0 Likes 0 ·
mnoneleli avatar image mnoneleli JohnC ♦ commented ·

Thank you JohnC ! I will really need to get an accurate SOC estimation method. My battery bank is old (~5 years ) . I suspect that is one of my issues . That ,even though I have enough PV generation and grid(occasionally :( . Not all the energy gets stored ,due to high series resistance.

0 Likes 0 ·