question

georgerobaina avatar image
georgerobaina asked

Victron easy solar. How do I connect Blue tooth dongle to solar controller no access?

Hello. I have an easy solar and my install means I do not have good access to the bottom.

My solar controller does not have blue tooth connect so I have purchased the blue tooth dongle

BUT my hand is to fat and I have not enough room to conect the dongle to the ve port.

I also have remotely installed the colour controller to inside my cabin.

How do I conect the blue tooth dongle to the cable that leads to my colour controller. Is there a connector? With female male ends??

EasySolar All-in-One
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
JohnC avatar image
JohnC answered ยท

Hi @Georgerobaina

You mean something like this? https://www.adafruit.com/product/3568?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI0rW8vvLX4QIVwR6GCh0sYAQ9EAQYBCABEgJpefD_BwE

I don't believe Victron have such as a stock part, but maybe look on the web for a supplier local to you. Then of course could be custom made too. The JST-PH connectors seem fairly endemic, maybe a good electronics shop?

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

georgerobaina avatar image
georgerobaina answered ยท

Hi john c. That looks like what I need. Can someone from Victron confirm this will work?

2 |3000

Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) answered ยท

Hi @Georgerobaina,

I have to ask why?

Why do you want to connect to the MPPT via bluetooth when it is already connected to the Color Control?

It is now possible to do everything you could do via the Bluetooth dongle via VictronConnect since v5.17 over VRM through the Color Control, in the VictronConnect app.

7 comments
2 |3000

georgerobaina avatar image georgerobaina commented ยท

ThAnk you guy. I was not aware of this. My easy solar does not have any blue tooth devices itโ€™s over 1 year old. Can I do it via the VRM app? Is there a video I can. See to help me

0 Likes 0 ยท
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) โ™ฆโ™ฆ georgerobaina commented ยท

It is fairly new information :)

It is done via that testing version of VictronConnect at the link I posted above, not the VRM app.

Once VictronConnect 5.17 is finished testing it will have a bigger announcement, and a training video made to demonstrate how to use it.

Though it is available for you to download right now at that link. I would try that before making up some customised VE.direct extension cabling system.

PLEASE READ THE DIRECTIONS COMPLETELY, and note that firmware for all connected devices MUST be the latest versions before attempting to use it.

0 Likes 0 ยท
JohnC avatar image JohnC โ™ฆ Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) โ™ฆโ™ฆ commented ยท

I've been awaiting this functionality for so long I downloaded the latest beta, enabled MQTT. Access to VRM works, now where to look?

All latest firmware except the Multi, should that matter? (I could pull it's plug).

0 Likes 0 ยท
georgerobaina avatar image georgerobaina Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) โ™ฆโ™ฆ commented ยท

Guy thank you so much. This new feature is amazing and so easy to use. What will happen after the beta period? Will I need to do something after the 88 days.

Lastly. I can see my bmv and my solar controller but I canโ€™t see my multiples can I make changes to multplius via vrm?

Again bravo on adding this functionality.

0 Likes 0 ยท
JohnC avatar image JohnC โ™ฆ georgerobaina commented ยท

It should be released by then George, so just an install of the latest release.

You can already change Multi settings using VRM's VE.Configure. It's a little clunkier to use, as you have to download/change/upload a file. But works fine.

All that's missing now is Multi firmware updates via VRM. That would be really something..

0 Likes 0 ยท
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) โ™ฆโ™ฆ JohnC โ™ฆ commented ยท

Remote firmware updates for MultiPlus are a harder nut to crack unfortunately.

I will never say Never, but nothing even on the horizon there.

0 Likes 0 ยท