question

nzmikec avatar image
nzmikec asked

rpi and 2 line lcd

Hi,

Is there any information out there on if a 2 line LCD display similar to that built into the GX "Card" device in the Multiplus-II-GX could be integrated with the venus image on Raspberry Pi?

Looks like a nice simple interface for minimal systems.

Venus GX - VGXRaspberry Pi
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image
mvader (Victron Energy) answered ·

Hi @nzmikec, it might be possible. Our code for driving that display in the MultiPlus-II is here: https://github.com/victronenergy/dbus-characterdisplay .

But, just to be clear, up to you to try, make that work, figure it all out, etc etc :). We can't participate in that as I'm sure you understand

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

laurenceh avatar image
laurenceh answered ·

Two line (and 4 line) lcd displays are available that connect via i2c. Based on my investigation of activating i2c ( see other posts) it should easily be possible to get one of them connected and driven using python.

Looking at the Victron display driver code referred to above, it seems the interface is handled by a python module called ‘os’ which is called from lcddriver.py to write to the display. I have not checked the ‘os’ module but it would appear that slight modification to the lcddriver.py to call a new module written to drive an i2c connected display should be feasible.

Hope this helps.

2 |3000