question

jit avatar image
jit asked

Communication protocol BMV 7xx <-> Venus GX

Hi all,

Could someone tell me what kind of "regular" communication is between Venus GX and BMV?

Planned system: MPPT+BMV+Phoenix C + Normal battery + Venus GX ( DVCC + SVS)

Why? I would like to use a monitoring of serial line between BMV and Venus GX (RX line from Venus GX point of view) for regulation purposes ... as a robust way ...

And ... I would like to be sure before buying of BMV and Venus GX ...

A) Is it Master (Venus GX) - Slave (BMV) communication (Victron HEX)? What is the request's frame rate?

B) Is it a type of broadcast communication of BMV (Victron simple TXT)? So Venus GX has every 1s updated information?

BMV Battery MonitorVenus GX - VGXcommunication protocol
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
Ole Saether avatar image
Ole Saether answered ·

The BMV-7xx and Venus GX are connected by VE.Direct:
https://www.victronenergy.com/live/vedirect_protocol:faq

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

jit avatar image
jit answered ·

Hi osaether,

Thank you for your answer ...

It is my fault that I didn't add to each mentioned possibility (I mean possibility A and B) that it is always VE.Direct protocol (A = HEX, B = simple TXT) ...

So I know that BMV is connected to Venus GX through VE.Direct serial interface, but my question is focused on type of protocol which is used and also how often is Venus GX informed about conditions on DC bus (Current, Voltage, SOC, ...).

1 comment
2 |3000

Ole Saether avatar image Ole Saether commented ·

There's a lot of projects reading Victron devices via VE.Direct on github. Take a look and you might learn something:
https://github.com/search?q=victron+ve.direct

0 Likes 0 ·
jit avatar image
jit answered ·

So it looks that no one has experience / knowledge about refresh rate of information (Current, Voltage, SOC, ...) from BMV in Venus GX ... in simple PV system described above ... even about used communication protocol ... (I guess it is used HEX protocol= communication is driven by Venus GX...)

If anyone is sure how it is, please let me / to all know ...

2 |3000

Justin Cook avatar image
Justin Cook answered ·

@JiT, it appears to me that the answer to your question may be found in the Whitepapers titled "VE.Direct HEX Protocol BMV", "VE.Direct HEX Protocol MPPT", and "VE.Direct HEX Protocol Phoenix Inverter", all found here: https://www.victronenergy.com/support-and-downloads/whitepapers

2 |3000

Related Resources

Venus GX manual

Venus GX product page

Victron BMV battery monitors product page

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic