question

arctic-seacamel avatar image
arctic-seacamel asked

Orion Tr 48/12-20 fuses

Hi

The manual of the device says that "48V models don't have input fuse, external required". However manuals doesn't specify the fuse sizes or max input current whatsoever.

Output amperage should be max 20 Amps so the fuse on the output should be around 25A as I understand.

But what size should be the input fuse?
Counting from 240W by 48 V the amperage should be 5A. Considering the losses in the device, the max input current could be little higher. So would 7,5A fuse be correct size?

fuses
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
wkirby avatar image
wkirby answered ·

Of course, the fuse should be rated higher than the maximum expected current.
However, remember that the fuse is there to protect the wiring. So you should select a fuse appropriate for the wiring used.
The manual does not state the rating of the fuse because the guage of wire used in the installation is unknown.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

arctic-seacamel avatar image arctic-seacamel commented ·

Okay thanks. I'm going other way around, taking the max current needed, figuring out the fuses and lastly the wires to handle that current with good safe marginal.

Maybe I'll go with those numbers I wrote earlier to keep it safe. I doubt I will ever use the Orion device with full power anyway.

0 Likes 0 ·
Vincent avatar image
Vincent answered ·

Do you have a schematic to understand how install an external Imput fuse?

1 comment
2 |3000

kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ commented ·
Goes in the input positive as close to the source as possible.
1 Like 1 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic