question

harold avatar image
harold asked

Battery type and settings Quatro for Lead Acid Varta DualPorpose 230Ah, closed maintanance free, 24V set.

I am doupting what to select.

The current standard settings result in a peak of 29,4V, which I thinkk is to much,

error
3 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

harold avatar image harold commented ·

The current settings:

0 Likes 0 ·
setting.png (22.3 KiB)
JohnC avatar image JohnC ♦ harold commented ·

That would be ok. Same as mine, but it's lost it's standard 'title' due to some change which I can't quite spot. You could make a note of all the settings, then try selecting another Batt Type. The 8hr Abs max suggests it's based on a GEL/AGM standard algorithm.

But you're really fooling with minor details now. Those V's are the things you have to decide whether to retain or maybe reduce if you have a non-cycling application.

They'd work anyway.

0 Likes 0 ·
harold avatar image harold JohnC ♦ commented ·

Thanks!

I adeded the type, suggesting this would help the algorithm to use its battery safe mode.

Top systems anyway!

0 Likes 0 ·
2 Answers
JohnC avatar image
JohnC answered ·

Hi @Harold

I you're seeing this 'peak' as an instantaneous reading (a 'spike'), best ignored.

The stock Victron algorithms for Pb batts would normally show (for 24V batts), 28.8V Abs and 27.6V float. In practice, temp compensation will affect that too, and determine what is actually applied.

It depends what you're doing with the batts, but you could reduce the V settings as you see fit. The standard algorithm you start with to do that will lose it's 'title', but will act the same, just target different V's.

What is the application? You don't mention solar, so maybe you could go with much less V..

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

harold avatar image
harold answered ·

Thanks @JohnC

The system is on a boat, batterys are used for 230V system and starting etc.

Charging by alternator, Qutaro and in the summer solar MPPT.

My question is about the bettery type selection in the Quatro and/or the Voltage settings.

Harold

3 comments
2 |3000

JohnC avatar image JohnC ♦ commented ·

It may depend on what Quattro firmware that you're on as to the options available, but just pick one. Maybe a GEL/AGM type, to see what it does. Then try selecting the relevant others in turn, and it should tell you the differences between the old and new as you progress.

If you spend a lot of time on shore power, maybe drop the Absorb setting on the algorithm you settle on down to (say) 28.0V. No point pushing them hard if you don't need a cycling-type charge. Most of the Pb algorithms will even drop to a Storage V level if connected continuously, maybe reviving periodically for a short Abs stir-up.

Away from shore, your alternator and mppt will work to their own settings.

See your batt maker as to what they recommend under your conditions.

0 Likes 0 ·
spirou avatar image spirou JohnC ♦ commented ·

Johnson controls (Varta/Bosch) are not that open on "technical" stuff. I've been searching for a long time and there's just no info on charging.

0 Likes 0 ·
JohnC avatar image JohnC ♦ spirou commented ·

Yeh, a little like buying a car and then finding they can't tell you what grade fuel is recommended. Often 'not that open' could loosely be translated as 'don't know' or 'don't care'.

Victron have been charging Pb batts for a long time, and I find the standard algorithms excellent. I've never changed mine off default, but I would if my application were to change. I'd just drop the V's a little (mainly Abs if I didn't need the daily aggression)..

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic