question

floyd avatar image
floyd asked

Keep Batteries Charged - constantly charging

Hi...

I have "Keep Batteries Charged" configured in ESS, but my system charges the batteries constantly and never goes into an "idle" mode (or perhaps pass-through mode).

I've configured a separate larger system and noticed that the batteries are charged once, then no more activity is seen on the CCGX and the VRM portal shows "idle".

What setting could I have wrong in this configuration?

Color Control GX (v2.42)

MultiPlus Compact 24/1600/40-16 (v465)

BMV-700 (v3.10)

BlueSolar Charger MPPT 75/50 (v1.47)

2x Monbat 12MVR170 AGM (closest spec https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ha7IVahv56O-qEzJJKgZfcrXlrKLLlPL/view)

2x SunLight NetForce FT 12-180 AGM

Float Voltage set at 27.24

ESS: Enabled

DVCC: Enabled

ESSEasySolar All-in-One
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) answered ·

Hi @floyd,

I might not be understanding, but I don't really see what is wrong?

It doesn't sound like the system is overcharging the batteries? It still reduces the charge current to keep to the target voltages?

Passthru mode isn't something you want - it is a partial fault condition, and it is explained in Q4 of the ESS FAQ what causes it, and how to fix it.

If the batteries are being correctly charged, the system remains on and stable during a grid outage and reconnection, and there are no alarms or warnings, I would say everything is fine - and there is nothing to do but enjoy!

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.