question

alexisquirion avatar image
alexisquirion asked

Is it possible to install the victron cyrix 120A on a 2007 mercedes sprinter ? and what gauge of wire should be used ? thank you !

Cyrix Battery Combiner
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
spirou avatar image
spirou answered ·

Yes. But the question is what you want to do with it? I've seen someone refer to it as a charger in his install videos and it certainly is not a charger. Wire size as always, bigger is better but depends on circumstances.

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

alexisquirion avatar image alexisquirion commented ·

I want to use it to charge my leisure battery when the engine is running. I thought it was what it is intended for no? thanks !

0 Likes 0 ·
spirou avatar image spirou alexisquirion commented ·

Point being that it just passes whatever voltage the alternator supplies which isn't necessarily good for the battery. Especially AGM. Also, the disconnect voltage of 12.8V is a terrible idea for the more modern lead batteries with a resting voltage closer to 13V. If I were you I'd get a DC-DC converter. Not necessarily Victron.

0 Likes 0 ·
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image
Matthias Lange - DE answered ·

If the 2nd battery is also a lead battery you can use the cyrix an I would recommend a wire of at least 35mm² or 50mm²(I don't know the AWG number).

But if the 2nd battery is a lithium battery you should use a DCDC-charger.

2 comments
2 |3000

alexisquirion avatar image alexisquirion commented ·

I will not use lithium. will it work even if my alternator is pushing more amps than 120 ?

0 Likes 0 ·
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image Matthias Lange - DE ♦ alexisquirion commented ·

If the alternator can deliver more than 120A you should use the 230A cyrix.

0 Likes 0 ·