question

eduan avatar image
eduan asked

System keeps switching between bulk and inverting

Hi there!

Our Victron system is continuously jumping between inverting and bulk and I'm not sure why this is the case. This happens fairy predictably every 30 or so odd seconds and the GX screen also seems to indicate that the grid is online/offline, while this is definitely not the case. The system was still running fine yesterday, and seems to have started jumping between inverting and bulk somewhere during the evening.

The system is comprised of the following components:

• Gateway - Color Control GX
  • VE.Bus - 3x Quattro 48/15000/200-2x100 (Freedomwon 40/28)
  • Battery monitor - Generic Can-bus BMS battery
  • Solar charger - SmartSolar Charger MPPT 250/100 rev2
  • Solar charger - SmartSolar Charger MPPT 250/100 rev2

My electricity provider has also already been at the premises to validate that the line voltage is correct and the power quality is supposedly good.

I can also hear relays switching each time it jumps between bulk and inverting. Is such frequent switching detrimental to the expected life time of the system, or would it be ok to leave the system running as is?

Some of the VRM measurements are as follows. The battery was around 36% during.

ups
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Murray van Graan avatar image
Murray van Graan answered ·

Hi @Eduan. It seems the Victron is rejecting the ac input from the grid, there could be a few reasons for this. I see your input voltage is very erratic, and has an unusual voltage drop whenever the system connects. I would start by making sure the ac input cables are sufficiently sized, and check for any loose connections.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

eduan avatar image
eduan answered ·

Understood, thanks Murray!

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic