question

tony-c avatar image
tony-c asked

Quattro- LiFePO4 Selection VE Config 3

When the battery type LiFePO4 is chosen in VE Config 3 Charger tab, battery type, various preset Voltage values are entered and the following:

Storage mode = unchecked, lithium Battery = checked, Charge is set to fixed, temp compensation is disabled.

if I change one of the voltages (say float from 13.5V to 13.4V) the Battery Type is removed from the selection panel. The Lithium batteries check box stays ticked.

Can anyone tell me if the other presets (e.g.fixed charge curve, storage mode disabled, etc) stay in place?

I cant find anywhere to look to confirm what other, than my voltage adjustment , has or has not changed.

All advice is appreciated

Lithium BatteryVEConfigure 3
2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

ejrossouw avatar image ejrossouw commented ยท
@Tony C Does the battery have an internal bms as with lithium, you typicall want a flat charge rate and the bms will very much control the charge, temp and otherwise limits to protect itself. Typically DVCC will be enabled, but not sure if you have a GX etc. What battery is this?

0 Likes 0 ยท
tony-c avatar image tony-c ejrossouw commented ยท

yes the batteries (made in China) do have an internal BMS to manage their charging and cell balance. What they don't have is a means to communicate 100% charged, a opto-coupler would have been nice but you only get what you pay for.

So I have installed a programmable voltage sensitive relay that closes when a stable 14.1V is detected. This relay closing relay is connected to the Quattro Aux 1 and the Lithium assistant forces the charge status to float and sets SOC to 100%.

The float status is maintained by the Quattro until the battery voltage drops 0.2 v below Float voltage (13.5V), which happens well after I have turned of my GenSet.

0 Likes 0 ยท
2 Answers
JohnC avatar image
JohnC answered ยท

Hi Tony.

I think you'll find that nothing else has changed, and the figures in front of you are relevant. VE.Config usually advises of the differences when you select something different. (aside from your setting changes)

The dropping of the specific algorithm tag is likely just a coding issue, perhaps even a legacy thing going back years, to warn you're straying from default.

Best to test it for yourself, as you should always do anyway. I'm sure you'll be fine..

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

tony-c avatar image
tony-c answered ยท

Thanks John, you "think" what I "Think. i was looking for somewhere to look to confirm.

This is the panel, in VE Config 3 that shows the setting when the the LiFepo4 battery type is pickedIf I change the float voltage say 13.5 to 13.4 the battery type is replaced by: I understand that, But have the other settings stayed in place? And where might I check?

1578585018647.png (16.0 KiB)
1578585095576.png (2.3 KiB)
1578585206862.png (2.4 KiB)
1 comment
2 |3000

JohnC avatar image JohnC โ™ฆ commented ยท

Yeh, you need trust. Or a physical test. The gospel is as shown in that .rvsc file, and of course you have to upload it for it to stick.

This 'no corresponding default' thing also happens if you'd selected a Pb profile. Just for fun, try clicking the 'Storage mode' box, and watch the graph change. Once uploaded that's what you'll get. And it'll warn you it's a non-standard profile - might be disconcerting, but still true.

It gained my confidence long ago. You'll get there..

0 Likes 0 ยท