question

oscarmax avatar image
oscarmax asked

Fusing Smart MPPT 75/15

My Swift Conqueror 2016 come factory fitted with a Sargent 80w mono solar panel to a Sargent PWM controller the to a Sargent EC600 system ( which has a 6 amp polyfused) and fused at the fuse board.

I have now fitted a Victron Smart MPPT 75/15,

(a) I have noticed the solar panel to the original PWM controller is not fused, Do I need fuse this circuit.

(b) I am going to upgrade (as advised my member on this site in a previous post) the wiring from the Victron MPPT 75/15 as I plan further upgrades. I have already fitted some busbars, do I fuse the circuit from the MPPT to the busbar at the MPPT or just near the busbars.

fuses
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
wkirby avatar image
wkirby answered ·

I like to put fuses between parallel strings or units of PV. Us a fuse that is rated higher that the maximum current that you expect from your PV.

Place fuses as close a possible to the busbar. In other words, place the fuse as close to the source of fault current as possible (fault current will flow from the battery).

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

oscarmax avatar image
oscarmax answered ·

I have now fitted a fuse between my 12v 80w solar panel to Smart MPPT 75/15 controller, it a shame the caravan manufacture did not fit one, cost saving I suppose.

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic