question

Bernard Naylor avatar image
Bernard Naylor asked

Pheonix 12/50 power surge from generator

Motorhome generator refuses to charge the Pheonix charger since a power surge occurred when a electric heater was switched on by mistake. Maybe cooked the Pheonix, but possibility the generator is at fault. Have no access to mains power so would appreciate advice on the Pheonix. Would a transister, pcb etc likly to be the problem, internal fuses are ok.

Phoenix Inverter
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
wkirby avatar image
wkirby answered ·

It's difficult to say really for sure.
When the generator is running, are any LED's lighting up on the charger at all?
How many battery banks do you hae? Perhaps it's possible to connect the battery to the second output of the charger to see if it will charge there?
Of course, it is possible that something is wrong with the generator, but difficult to tell.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Bernard Naylor answered ·

Hi, the generator works OK with other items, but it's circuit breaker trips immediately on connecting the charger. Have now run the 2000w geni with a 2000w electric heater and it's working OK. The fault is with the charger sadly. Question is how serious is it, is it a quick fix or a write off.

2 |3000

wkirby avatar image
wkirby answered ·

Unfortunately it almost impossible to tell the extent of the damage without at least a visual inspection.
Alas, I don't know of any common of quick fixes.

2 |3000

Bernard Naylor answered ·

Unfortunately I'm on holiday touring Spain, currently in La Linea across the border a few hundred yards from Gibraltar. Will inquire for a cheap alternative localy until I can check it over when I get home. Hopefully it's a voltage dropper of some kind that has short circuited, otherwise it's scrap I expect but thanks for all the advice. Have a Merry Christmas and a great 2019.

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic