question

upnorthman avatar image
upnorthman asked

Phoenix Inverter and c-pap causing led lights to blink.

I recently bought a Phoenix 48-250 inverter. When I plug in my wife's c-pap, the led lights blink and when I look at the output voltage on VE.Direct, it is jumping all over the place. I am not overloading it. It just doesn't like the c-pap. The c-pap has a transformer that changes from 120v ac 1.4amps to 12.8dc 4.5 amps. Any suggestions?

Thanks Ed

Phoenix Inverter
3 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

upnorthman avatar image upnorthman commented ·

A CPAP is used at night for people who quit breathing when they sleep for various reasons. It has a small blower that is constently on. It tries to maintain a constant pressure as you breathe through a mask. It also has a small heater that is used to warm 1 cup or 237ml of water. She uses it about 8 hours a night. I have used a smaller 12v 150w mod sine without any problems. The Victron makes a lot of loud snaps. Not sure if this discription helps.

0 Likes 0 ·

I always put it to "on". I don't know if it is something related to the way the transformer converts from ac to dc. I also had it do it a couple times plugging in a Dewalt battery charger/radio . It would generally settle down rather quickly. In all cases, not overloading the inverter.

Ed

0 Likes 0 ·

I tried the CPAP with my in laws 24-500 Phoenix Inverter. It was having the same problem. Not to the same extreme, but the lights were blinking. Anyone have any idea?

Thanks Ed

0 Likes 0 ·
2 Answers
wkirby avatar image
wkirby answered ·

I'm not entirely sure how a CPAP machine works, does it have some sort of compressor inside? I wonder if CPAP machines have require short bursts of high impulse energy. Smaller inverters will struggle with this kind of energy, they have to constantly react to the surges.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

bluepowershop avatar image
bluepowershop answered ·

Hello Ed,

Is your Phoenix 48/250 switched in the "on" position or the "eco" mode?
If the CPAP is taking power from the inverter at certain interval, the inverter will probably switch to the eco (powersaving) mode.

Please check if the problem persists in the "on" mode.

Regards,
Mark

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic