question

Michael Cosentino avatar image
Michael Cosentino asked

Does the Phoenix inverter have a built in pre-charge circuit to limit inrush current from a lithium battery?

Does phoenix Inverter have a pre charge circuit. I have it connected to lifepo4 batteries with a ev power australia bms and have been told I need a pre charge circuit. Thanks for any answer.

inverter current draw
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

5 Answers
Riaan Barkhuizen avatar image
Riaan Barkhuizen answered ·

Hi @Michael Cosentino, I think that the Phoenix inverter can only draw power from the battery. It does not have the capability to do any charging. So if you want to charge the pack, you would need to install a separate charger.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

Hi @Michael Cosentino

Ask your bms supplier how to incorporate a pre-charge relay + resistor, the inverter doesn't have that.

Many BMS-es can control a separate pre-charge relay

alternatively you can use a precharge circuit from another source, like REC bms

2 |3000

Tom avatar image
Tom answered ·

I recommend the Rec BMS precharge unit. They ship world wide. Also you can just use a simple 7 watt 120 ohm resistor and charge 10 secs before you switch on full current.

1 comment
2 |3000

nebulight avatar image nebulight commented ·

I don't have a REC BMS but I'm using their precharge box. It's a neat little unit with adjustable times.

Test bench:

Adjustment knob:

Install location:

0 Likes 0 ·
1578247967053.png (1.4 MiB)
1578247990850.png (1.1 MiB)
1578248034579.png (1.4 MiB)
Michael Cosentino avatar image
Michael Cosentino answered ·

Thank you for your answers they are very helpful. As a comment I think that it is shabby that their is no warning in manual as to the disaster that could happened without the capacitors in inverter first being pre charged. And then people pay good money for a victron machine that is only safe to operate by installing a cheap circuit before it!!

3 comments
2 |3000

JohnC avatar image JohnC ♦ commented ·

Depends how you view the issue Michael. To me, if a batt/bms has it's own discharge limit for a 'spark', then it should provide it's own protection. And I suspect many of the better ones do.

Expecting Victron to provide this for *all* batts is too much, as each may well have it's own needs.

0 Likes 0 ·
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image Matthias Lange - DE ♦ commented ·

What kind of desaster do you mean? I work with and install Victron products for over 10 years now and never had any problems without a pre charge circuit.

0 Likes 0 ·
nebulight avatar image nebulight commented ·

FYI I installed the precharge circuit to protect my relay, I wasn’t really worried about the inverter :)

0 Likes 0 ·
matt-b-1 avatar image
matt-b-1 answered ·

Sorry to dig up an old post but how many amps does the REC pre-charge relay and resister support, is it suitable for a 300a system?

1 comment
2 |3000

kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ commented ·

The REC BMS relay switches a contactor which carries the system current.

https://www.rec-bms.com/datasheet/UserManualPrecharge.pdf

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic