question

alanhenson avatar image
alanhenson asked

I bought two 48v5000 watt Quattros for my RV. It is a 120v system with a dc system as well. I'll have solar and i have a single phase onan 5500 watt generator. What's the advantages and disadvantages of hooking them up in parallel versus split phase.

inverter current draw
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

boekel avatar image boekel ♦ commented ·

Do you need split-phase?

0 Likes 0 ·
4 Answers
Paul B avatar image
Paul B answered ·

Really there would be no difference re performance wise

it will all depend on how your RV is setup,

I prefer Parallel personally, (but then I am in a 230 volt 50 hz country), as it simple and you only have one bus that way otherwise you will have to balance the loads so that each phase has close to equal load.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

alanhenson avatar image
alanhenson answered ·

My RV has two 120V legs. If I hooked one up to one leg and one to another then the generator which is single phase and the shore power is a problem. I guess I need to do parallel.

4 comments
2 |3000

Pat Davitt avatar image Pat Davitt commented ·

Let's slow down a little. I suspect you are in the US, so am I, and that your RV has a "50A" shore power service connection. If so, what you actually have is a 120/240V 50A Split Phase setup. However, it is 50A at 240V or 12,000 Watts of power available. That equates to 100A at 120V.

Split Phase power is an issue with RV's and how they are wired, especially when it comes to adding Inverter/Chargers.

Please confirm if you have a 120/240V service, and we can get into the weeds some more.

Pat

0 Likes 0 ·
alanhenson avatar image alanhenson Pat Davitt commented ·

Yes it's 120.

0 Likes 0 ·
Pat Davitt avatar image Pat Davitt alanhenson commented ·

I assume you mean 120/240V split phase. Is this correct?

Pat

0 Likes 0 ·
alanhenson avatar image alanhenson Pat Davitt commented ·

Yes. That's it. I'm new to all this terminology.

0 Likes 0 ·
Pat Davitt avatar image
Pat Davitt answered ·

Alan,

Please take what I am about to say in the spirit of my trying to help. I strongly suggest that you contact a US Certified Victron Installer, with RV experience, for help in installing your system. You are dealing with high voltage/current that can cause major injury or death if you don't know exactly what you are doing. Not to mention irreparable damage to some expensive equipment.

Please take my advice,

Pat

2 |3000

alanhenson avatar image
alanhenson answered ·

Oh I'm not touching this stuff myself. My installers have 40 years experience between the three of them.

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic