question

askme avatar image
askme asked

Battery Protect 100A for car use?

Hi,

I want to use a battery protect in a car, is the product suitable? The manual states that there should be no reverse charging, so could this be used in a regular car with alternator setup?

thanks in advance for the pointers!

Battery Protect
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Justin Cook avatar image
Justin Cook answered ·

@askme I use a Smart BP65 in my own truck, set to automatically turn on my DRLs after I've started my engine and turn them back off after a 2-minute exit lighting delay once I've turned off the engine. Works perfectly!

Do not connect the BP directly to the battery with your main POS line connected to the BP, because this will result in reverse current when your alternator charges your battery. Instead, connect it to a POS takeoff and put your loads on the other side (out).

sbp65.jpg (391.4 KiB)
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

askme avatar image askme commented ·

Thank you for The detailed explanation and picture. I purchased the unit to use as a low power (to the switch) battery isolator but didn’t factor the reverse charge from the alternator. Hopefully I’ll be able to split that off as suggested and then connect the rest to the load from a spur.

cheers!

0 Likes 0 ·
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image
Matthias Lange - DE answered ·

If you only connect loads to the output there should be no problems.

2 |3000