question

arturs-krumins avatar image
arturs-krumins asked

"Blue Smart IP65 Charger" in parallel with "SmartSolar MPPT 100/20"

Hello Everyone!

Recently got "Blue Smart IP65 Charger" to help getting trough the winter months, and it keeps shutting down, after which I'm unable to get it to turn on for up to 12 hours or so.

I have attached it directly to the 100ah AGM battery and it was running in parallel with my MPPT controller.

Could this have damaged the charger? Didn't see anything in the documentation about this.

Thanks for any info.

MPPT Controllerscharger
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Justin Cook avatar image
Justin Cook answered ·

@Arturs Krumins, I recommend getting in touch with the authorized Victron distributor from whom you purchased the device, as it sounds like this is a good candidate for a warranty exchange. The distributor will likely have some troubleshooting questions for you, but there's no harm in having multiple charge sources in parallel connection to a single battery (so long as each charge source is fused and connected appropriately), so it's unlikely that your MPPT interacted with the Smart IP65 in any way that would have damaged it.

The distributor that I work for has sold over a thousand of the IP65 units in their various configurations and I've seen exactly 1 unit come back to us with a defect, and it was for a problem that was similar to what you describe... not identical, but the condition "unable to turn it back on for 12 hours or so" is exactly what was happening with that unit as well, though the original fault condition was different. I think it's very likely that you unfortunately happened to get another 1-in-1000 defective unit, as there's nothing inherently wrong with the connection that you describe.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

MPPT Product Page

MPPT Error codes

MPPT 150/60 up to 250/70 Manual