question

djibi avatar image
djibi asked

How many MPPTs can I connect in Parallel?

How many 100/30 mppt could I put in parallel to charge the same battery bank?

thanks

MPPT Controllersbattery charging
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
graham avatar image
graham answered ·

Technically there is no limit they are just like any charging source and will react in the same way.

I think the important thing is to get the fusing and cabling correct. If the MPPTs are close together, I would suggest bring them each via a fuse to a busbar (fuse at the busbar) and the busbar to batteries, cable fused at the batteries. I would aim for less than 0.5% voltdrop at the battery.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

djibi avatar image djibi commented ·

Okay thank you very much

1 Like 1 ·
brambaut avatar image
brambaut answered ·

This is the way to go.
Multiple SmartSolar MPPT's in parallel connected to a Victron Energy Distributor (which fuses every MPPT as well as the connection to the inverter) and connected to the batteries using a Victron Energy Lynx (which fuses the batteries).

This is the semi-wired setup at one of our projects in Tanzania (wires from PV panels yet to be connected to the MPPT's):

Victron Energy Distributor + Lynx:

Connection and fuses inside the Distributor + Lynx:

img-4126-1.jpg (1.9 MiB)
img-4125.jpg (1.4 MiB)
img-4100.jpg (1.9 MiB)
4 comments
2 |3000

Thanks very much

0 Likes 0 ·

Can I have more image about your installation to learn more about it?

Thanks

0 Likes 0 ·
brambaut avatar image brambaut djibi commented ·

@djibi, this is a slightly smaller but similar setup that I did for another project in Tanzania (1 x Quattro 48V/10kVA, 3 x SmartSolar 250-100, 1 x CCGX, 40 x PV panels 275Wp, 48 x 2V battery bank 2600Ah):

1 Like 1 ·
img-1605.jpg (2.1 MiB)
debug avatar image debug commented ·

Are these multiple mppt being synchronized?

0 Likes 0 ·
graham avatar image
graham answered ·

brambaut lovely neat installation, Oh how I wish for that amount of room of small boats here in the UK on Liveaboard boats.

2 comments
2 |3000

brambaut avatar image brambaut commented ·

Thanks, @Graham. I totally understand you often beg for space on small boats. However, the pictures I uploaded are from a quite big setup with 15kVA, 60 PV panels of 275Wp and a 3920Ah 48V battery bank (battery weight: 5.760kgs!). I guess you usually don't need that much power or battery banks on these small boats? ;-)

0 Likes 0 ·
graham avatar image graham brambaut commented ·

@brambaut average maximum size is PV 1kW although doing one in Jan where we can get 1.8kW on. Batteries tend to range from 440Ah to 1000Ah the average I suppose is about 600Ah.

Believe me if they could get the solar aboard they would have it, and battery wise there are two types the its a boat so will rough it and the I want what I have at the house. I like the latter because it involves me getting more from less in less space. The Jan job 5 x 150Ah mounted on two shelves in a cupboard only just wide enough and high enough, it will be fun :) lol

0 Likes 0 ·
hvsystems avatar image
hvsystems answered ·

Hello, we have a system that has 44 MPPT in parallel.

We messure on a single device 4.7M Ohm between * and or - and GND, why is this so low, do you have resitors in place betwen +/- and GND, if so why?

The problem we face is that the 44 MPPT in parralel have in the ned a resitance of around 120k Ohm to GND .... and that i a bit on the low side.

How big are the biggest systems you did or know of in parallel, how to you solve this issues, in our case we get constant GNd fault from our isolaition messuing equiopment,

BR

HV team

2 |3000

Related Resources

MPPT Product Page

MPPT Error codes

MPPT 150/60 up to 250/70 Manual

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic