question

djibi avatar image

How many MPPTs can I connect in Parallel?

How many 100/30 mppt could I put in parallel to charge the same battery bank?

thanks

MPPT - Solar Charge Controllerparallel
10 |3000 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
Graham avatar image

Technically there is no limit they are just like any charging source and will react in the same way.

I think the important thing is to get the fusing and cabling correct. If the MPPTs are close together, I would suggest bring them each via a fuse to a busbar (fuse at the busbar) and the busbar to batteries, cable fused at the batteries. I would aim for less than 0.5% voltdrop at the battery.

1 comment Share

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Okay thank you very much

brambaut avatar image

This is the way to go.
Multiple SmartSolar MPPT's in parallel connected to a Victron Energy Distributor (which fuses every MPPT as well as the connection to the inverter) and connected to the batteries using a Victron Energy Lynx (which fuses the batteries).

This is the semi-wired setup at one of our projects in Tanzania (wires from PV panels yet to be connected to the MPPT's):

Victron Energy Distributor + Lynx:

Connection and fuses inside the Distributor + Lynx:

img-4126-1.jpg (1.9 MiB)
img-4125.jpg (1.4 MiB)
img-4100.jpg (1.9 MiB)
4 comments Share

Can I have more image about your installation to learn more about it?

Thanks

@djibi, this is a slightly smaller but similar setup that I did for another project in Tanzania (1 x Quattro 48V/10kVA, 3 x SmartSolar 250-100, 1 x CCGX, 40 x PV panels 275Wp, 48 x 2V battery bank 2600Ah):

img-1605.jpg (2.1 MiB)

Are these multiple mppt being synchronized?

Graham avatar image

brambaut lovely neat installation, Oh how I wish for that amount of room of small boats here in the UK on Liveaboard boats.

2 comments Share

Thanks, @Graham. I totally understand you often beg for space on small boats. However, the pictures I uploaded are from a quite big setup with 15kVA, 60 PV panels of 275Wp and a 3920Ah 48V battery bank (battery weight: 5.760kgs!). I guess you usually don't need that much power or battery banks on these small boats? ;-)

@brambaut average maximum size is PV 1kW although doing one in Jan where we can get 1.8kW on. Batteries tend to range from 440Ah to 1000Ah the average I suppose is about 600Ah.

Believe me if they could get the solar aboard they would have it, and battery wise there are two types the its a boat so will rough it and the I want what I have at the house. I like the latter because it involves me getting more from less in less space. The Jan job 5 x 150Ah mounted on two shelves in a cupboard only just wide enough and high enough, it will be fun :) lol