question

apeter avatar image
apeter asked

Smart MPPT 75/15 showing very low battery voltage and disconnects load

I have connected a 150w panel, SmartSolar MPPT 75/15 and a 120AH battery-feeding DC loads totalling to about 720WH. However, as of 3-4 days the load started to be disconnected. After viewing the trend on VictronConnect it shows 0w,21v and 0Amps for Solar, 13v and 0Amps for battery but it also shows my battery has been as low as 0.01v and high of 14.6v.

We have had cloudy weather with about 4 hours of clear skies/day. I am in East Africa so normally we have ups to 8 hours of sun on non-cloudy/rainy days. I have 2 different installations all acting up the same. Any ideas?

Thank you.

Alina

MPPT Controllerslow battery warning
1577465896788.png (130.5 KiB)
1577465928573.png (128.7 KiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image
Matthias Lange - DE answered ·

I guess the fuse is blown.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

apeter avatar image
apeter answered ·

Thank you. The fuse is blown. But what would cause both fuses on separate installations to blow almost simultaneously? Both installations have a 5w rechargeable battery and a 30w Motorola radio connected on the load port of the MPPT 75/15. Could it be overloaded? I am planning to replace the fuse but I would like to know so that I can prevent it from happening again?

Thank you again for your reply.

2 comments
2 |3000

Warwick Bruce Chapman avatar image Warwick Bruce Chapman commented ·

I suspect peak power requirements of the radio during transmission is higher than 15A.

What are the specs?

0 Likes 0 ·
ttbb avatar image ttbb Warwick Bruce Chapman commented ·

@apeter explain more about the loads

Does the radio have its own battery?

When you have a batteries / devices with batteries on the load output you have to consider if and when the main battery load output is cut due to low voltage then if there is still a drain on those batteries then there is going to be an additional load when the load output comes back on.

So, if the Motorola radio has its own battery and it could run with the main load output off for some time then when the load output comes back it is radio load + charing load.

Even with relatively small lithium batteries they can have a significant current draw when charging if nothing is limiting it.

If all else was good before and the loads were not overloading the load output then that would be my initial thinking.

0 Likes 0 ·
apeter avatar image
apeter answered ·

@warwick It's a DM3401-30W radio, so the max is 14.5A during transmission and 0.81A on standby. However, the radio is used only so often in a day.

@TTbb No, the radio doesn't have its own battery.

2 |3000

Related Resources

MPPT Product Page

MPPT Error codes

MPPT 150/60 up to 250/70 Manual

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic