question

tkmbe avatar image
tkmbe asked

Do I need a VE.Direct-USB cable or cannot I connect directly with DiY cable?

Hello

I'm in doubt if I need a VE.Direct-USB cable or can I assemble a serial cable?

I want to connect my smart solar MPPT 100/15 and 75/15 either to an Arduino with serial or maybe to en Rasp.Pi to get data logging.

I've read about galvanic problems to connect directly...

Any hints, solutions to create serial or usb cable?

28u$ is a lot of money for people living in Argentina :-(

MPPT ControllersVE.Direct
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

Hi @tkmbe

it -can- work, but we do not support it as we've had many cases of controllers measuring incorrect values due to non-standard cables.

https://www.victronenergy.com/upload/documents/Whitepaper-Data-communication-with-Victron-Energy-products_EN.pdf

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Matthias Lange - DE avatar image
Matthias Lange - DE answered ·

Maybe you find something useful in this whitepapers:
https://www.victronenergy.com/support-and-downloads/whitepaper
- Data communication with Victron Energy products
and/or
- VE.Direct Protocol

2 |3000

tkmbe avatar image
tkmbe answered ·

Ok

Now I'm again in doubt. The WhitePaper has a list of products with data communication.

I see Blue Solar charger but not Smart MPPT solar charger like 75/15 and 100/15.

Does this models have VE.direct support or not?

In an other post they told me they have, but I have never seen a document with this products.

The Blue Solar does not have Bluetooth, but the Smart Solar has? Is this the difference?

But Smart Solar will have still available VE.direct to connect and download data?

1 comment
2 |3000

Hi @tkmbe

Yes all MPPT's have ve.direct

0 Likes 0 ·