question

Neptune avatar image
Neptune asked

MPPT 100/30 will not load past 20% on Mac or iPhone

Everything has been working fine since installation 2 years ago. Now when opening VE app on either my MacBook or IPhone it discovered the device but gets stuck loading at 20%. Have followed support protocol to reset password but there is no option to actually choose a new password in either format! Have also unpaired device from Mac Bluetooth but this changed nothing also. Please do not send me back to the troubleshooting manual as I have followed its suggestions and no luck. I am fine with using device with either Mac or IPhone, does not have to be both. Any suggestions greatly appreciated

MPPT ControllersVictronConnect
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
ttbb avatar image
ttbb answered ·

"Even after uninstalling the app, it has never forgotten the device nor has it asked for a PIN!"

Surprised no one has yet commented in response to that and told you to try resetting network settings. It will erase all your saved Bluetooth connections, ( Also WI-FI so be aware of that! )

1. Open the Settings app from the Home screen.
  2. Tap General.
  3. Scroll down to and select Reset.
  4. Tap the Reset Network Settings option.
  5. Enter your device passcode if prompted.
  6. Then tap to confirm network settings reset.
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Neptune avatar image Neptune commented ·

GUESS WHAT??? Resetting the PIN didn't work immediately but I also unplugged the device from the Victron power module, then reset, then VOILA I could enter default PIN and set my own. HOORAY! THANK YOU TTbb

0 Likes 0 ·
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) answered ·

The failure at 20% indicates that the phone has the Victron Equipment saved, but that the Bluetooth password that is saved in the phone does not match the Victron Equipment.

The Reset protocol will reset the password to the default;

If you want more specific help than what the troubleshooting - connection fails at 20% manual provides, please provide a screen recording video on the iPhone of you following all the steps. You should be able to upload it here.

At the same time, when you have completed the screen recording, please create a Service Report, and I will pass them both on to the developers for their advice on what might be going wrong.

Thanks for reporting it.

14 comments
2 |3000

Selected “forget this device” for the Victron connect device on my iPhone. Then reset pin code on the VE Bluetooth dongle. Force quit Victron Connect app. Then reopened and it shows the MPPT device in the list but it does not ask me to enter a pin code nor is there any option to create a new pin code. Checked in Settings and of course, if I click on the MPPT device it stalls at 20%.

0 Likes 0 ·
Neptune avatar image Neptune Neptune commented ·

PS I just uninstalled then installed VE App all over again and it still gives me no opportunity to enter a pin code. Idling on 20% still

0 Likes 0 ·
klim8skeptic avatar image klim8skeptic ♦ Neptune commented ·

Also check that "location" is enabled in app permissions.

0 Likes 0 ·
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) ♦♦ Neptune commented ·

Hi @Neptune,

The next step is to please take an iPhone screen recording of you performing each of the 20% issue troubleshooting steps, and then create a service report, and then post the screen recording video, and the service report log file back here.

Then I can pass them along to the developers, and they can look into why the normal solution isn't working for you, and what can be done to fix it.

0 Likes 0 ·
Neptune avatar image Neptune Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) ♦♦ commented ·
0 Likes 0 ·
Neptune avatar image Neptune Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) ♦♦ commented ·
0 Likes 0 ·
jperez (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image jperez (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ Neptune commented ·

Please send us a new service report but before creating it, try to connect to the device and wait ~1m or until it times out while it is at 20%. Then go back to the main page and create the service log. This way we can see what happens during the connection.

0 Likes 0 ·
Neptune avatar image Neptune jperez (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ commented ·

This report was done from my computer, the other report was from iphone. Waited 2 minutes while idling on %20 until creating the report.

VictronConnect service report 9Jan20.log

0 Likes 0 ·
Neptune avatar image Neptune jperez (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ commented ·

A month has passed since requesting some assistance and i am still waiting for an answer. The controller is working fine but I am desperately wishing that I could see what is going on with battery levels - I feel blind without being able to gauge what’s going on. If I had contacted another company for tech support this would have been resolved long ago. Please help me out!

0 Likes 0 ·
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) ♦♦ Neptune commented ·

Hi @Neptune,

I'll check in with @jperez (Victron Energy Staff) to see if there is any more info based on the service report you posted on the 9th of Jan.

0 Likes 0 ·
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ Neptune commented ·

Hi @Neptune

I already asked @jperez (Victron Energy Staff) this afternoon, but didn't relay his answer yet:

He says you seem to be using a ve.direct-bluetooth dongle, is that correct? the dongle seems to be failing the connection, and you should replace the dongle (under warranty of course)

0 Likes 0 ·
Neptune avatar image Neptune Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ commented ·

Yes, I am using a ve.direct-bluetooth dongle. I do not have the warranty and I do not recall where I bought the controller - ebay probably, but ebay records do not go back to the year I bought it (must have been end of 2017). Can I return it to an address that you can provide or do I just have to live without a functional bluetooth connection? It looks like I would have to pay near $200 for a new one and that is ridiculously expensive.

0 Likes 0 ·
Neptune avatar image Neptune Neptune commented ·

scratch that price, I just researched and found them for $79, which I might add, is money that I do not have to spare just now

0 Likes 0 ·

Ok, there’s what you asked for. I will add, that when I reset the pin on the VE Bluetooth dongle, both the blue and red lights flash but not twice, they blink until I release the reset button. Also, I had removed the VE app from iPhone Bluetooth settings already and it has never returned. Even after uninstalling the app, it has never forgotten the device nor has it asked for a PIN! This is all I can tell you, I trust that a solution will arise sooner or later. Have a great Christmas.

0 Likes 0 ·
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) answered ·

@Neptune - Please fill in this form describing the issue and include the link to this community thread. It will be sent to your distributor based on the product serial number and begin the warranty process.

Thanks for your patience, it should be all sorted out soon.

2 comments
2 |3000

Thanks Guy. It says I may have to wait another 7 days - argh! Nonetheless, this should be resolved relatively soon and all systems up and running again.

0 Likes 0 ·

Hello Guy, I contacted the department that you linked me to and they basically palmed me off - quite dismissively. They did not read this link and told me to find a local distributor, I am in Australia. I have found a local distributor and contacted them, but I feel like I am just going to be pushed around from company to company, department to department with this, with no other alternative but to buy a replacement when I have enough money which won't be for a couple of months. Unless you can help out I feel VERY disappointed with this whole situation.

0 Likes 0 ·
ryan-peters avatar image
ryan-peters answered ·

I've just had exactly the same experience with MPPT 100/20 version. Bought one, couldn't connect or see it on Bluetooth using iPhone 7. It was replaced by supplier today, but same again. Tried MacBook Pro this time (as probabilities of 2 faulty ones unlikely), and it could see it allow'd me to reset the pin to 000000 then stuck at 20%. Still can't see it on iPhone 7.

Wife has iPhone XR and guess what, it connected immediately warned me to change pin code from 000000 and updated the firmware on the MPPT controller. This does not help me as I am not going to buy new kit.

I am interested if some part of the bluetooth communication protocol has been altered by Apple and others to phase out old kit. Hope not, and if it has, is there going to be a firmware update from Victron to compensate?

1 comment
2 |3000

Who knows, I will wait until I've been sent a new bluetooth dongle and fingers crossed it will work. I am thinking to uninstall all present apps too. Fingers crossed that this will all work fine - I see no reason why not, it's 64 bit software. Once the new dongle has is set up (probably not for a few weeks) I will return to this post to update the outcome.

0 Likes 0 ·