question

israel avatar image
israel asked

Monitoring multiple batteries

Hi,

My system (see picture attached) consists of three batteries: starter, aux1, aux2. The entire system is managed by a system called IBS-DBS. Batteries aux1 and aux2 are isolated from each other by a component called DBR. I consider adding a monitoring system Victron BMV 712.

Question 1 - Is it possible to monitor all three batteries each time one battery (by switching the Victron from one battery to another) in the system that i have?

Question 2 - If the answer to question 1 is positive is it possible to get a scheme about the wiring and switching between batteries of Victron BMV 712 in this particular system for monitoring all three batteries

Thanks, Israel

batterymonitoring
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
wkirby avatar image
wkirby answered ·

Alas, this will not work.

The BMV calculates SOC by measuring energy into and out of a battery. If it were connected to one battery that is 50% full and then switched to another battery that is 100% full, it would still read 50% because it will not have counted any energy flowing in.

In reality switching batteries would cause the BMV to reset anyway. It is designed to be permanently connected to a battery bank to monitor it.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic