question

autimagic avatar image
autimagic asked

48V Quattros Lead Acid batteries out of balance

Hi guys and girls!

We have an issue. TLDR: skip to the bold text ;-)

Please see these and read the explanation;

Besides this, there is a 48V battery bank as well, consisting of three strings.

You can see their connections coming down into the box as the orange (and black) cables connecting to the shunt and the bus bar.

A quick explanation;

We are on a truck!

• Light on this truck is 24V and in the box is cooling provided by 24V fans.
  • The first Orion (top left, the small one) is controlling the fans by using an relay on the Quattros to trigger it.
  • The three next Orions are for internal and external lighting.
  • The charger at the right is for the trucks starter battery, as this also powers the hoist etc.
  • The gray box is a bypass where we can bypass each Quattro and corresponding isolation transformer.
  • The transformers sits on a arm that can swing out to ease service on the Quattros, that's why the cable is reinforced.
  • Inside the truck sits three 48V banks, each with separate cables to the box - connected to the shunt and the bus bar as you see.
  • There is around 5 meters between the batteries and the connections in the box.
  • Just above the gray box there are three relays that triggers a warning flash inside the truck in case we loose grid power - or in case the Quattros decide not to use grid power.

All equipment is brand new, including the batteries.

The batteries have been balanced by means of charging each of them fully with the same 12V charger before connecting them in strings.

Each Quattro has its own Color Control.

There is a BMV702 connected to the first Color Control (in order to have its data logged to the VRM portal) and the BMV702 is setup with midpoint monitoring.

The truck is connected to grid with a 32A CEE connector.

The Quattroes does not "see" each other - this is NOT a 3 phase system.

The reason for that is that we have loads of redundant technical equipment on Quattro 1 and 2 and cooling on number 3. In case a Quattro fails a 3 phase setup would make them all shut down, where we with this setup can keep running on the remaining power.

We have a similar setup in two other trucks where the only difference is that the system is 12V and with smaller Quattros. Has been running for years without any issues :-)

The Quattros in this system is set with Victron GEL/AGM-batteries as battery type and all the batteries are 12V GEL Deep Discharge 220 Ah.

Charging is set to max 40A per Quattro, but setting the charge current as low as 10A doesn't solve the below issue.

Now, to the problem;

If I discharge the batteries by 5%, 10%, 15% - it doesn't really matter - and then reconnect grid power, bulk charge will start. When bulk ends, absorption starts and what the hell happens!?

We don't understand it.

The distributor don't understand it.

We've tried rearranging the batteries - we've tried everything.

My quess is some kind of over charge; ie. the Quattros sensing the charge state wrong?

Needless to say, batteries on one side of the bank was boiling.

Absorption voltage is 57.60 V.

When the Quattros goes from Absorbtion to Float, batteries will settle and balance within a relatively short period of time.

There are no battery balancers connected.

Any ideas?

battery charging
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

8 Answers
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

Hi @autimagic

Nice setup!!

TLDR: the batteries are unbalanced.

how many batteries (3 banks?) and how are they connected?

I see you have midpoint sensing, but this can only be on one bank?

Problem here might be batteries that weren't charged to the same SOC (normal procedure: put all batteries parallel and fully charge for a couple of days to all get to 100%)

Once batteries are unequal, these problems get worse as you have noticed.

Normally best practice is to use interconnects to group all batteries together, minimizing differences, like in this diagram: (I do realize this can be difficult if you have multiple battery boxes)

Adding battery balancers can help, but they also have limits, once batteries are 'unequal' they might not have enough power to compensate.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

autimagic avatar image
autimagic answered ·

Hi @Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff)

Thank you very much - and thank you for your input!

Initially, we were provided with a 12V charger by the distributor, with instructions to charge each battery till the charger said "storage" and move on to the next.

Banks are connected like this.

At all + poles where the midpoint is connected a resistor sits as well (don't know its size - can't remember and it's wrapped in heat shrink).

So basically, the one BMV measures the midpoint of all three banks. Ish.
Not my design :-)

The batteries are sitting like this in a big shelf, so interconnecting them would be relatively easy, but please note the shunt and busbar is sitting ~5 meters away - if that has anything to say.

How come there is no interconnection between the two rightmost batteries in the middle and bottom string in your drawing?

4 comments
2 |3000

Ah yes the missing link in the drawing...that is to check if you are paying attention ;)

Making the interconnecting links will help you..but...

as it seems you are measuring the -average- midpoint voltage with this setup, it might be that there is just one battery that is causing the troubles.

Can you measure each battery while charging is happening? this way you might be able to pinpoint a single battery. Maybe somehow one battery wasn't charged fully? also, never exclude the possibility of a defect somewhere.

Charging each battery before connecting does work, but I'd prefer to charge all batteries of each string together, to prevent any problems.

0 Likes 0 ·
Mark avatar image Mark ♦♦ commented ·

You mention resistors in the mid point link wiring - depending on how this is wired it could be skewing the measurement and part of the issue.

It's also possible for the resistance to change with relation to current/temperature/time - adding further inconsistency with the measured mid point voltage.

Generally the mid point links are direct connections with wiring of suitable cross section to accommodate a fault condition or smaller gauge wiring and a fuse to protect for excessive current flow. The mid point voltage wiring leading to the BMV shunt must be directly connected to one of the battery terminals.

It might be worth altering this wiring/removing the resistors (along with implementing any related safety precautions) to see if this changes anything.

0 Likes 0 ·
autimagic avatar image autimagic Mark ♦♦ commented ·

We added midpoint monitoring after vi found out we had some issues.
It didn't change anything, except we now can log the results to the VRM portal.

Currently, my supplier is building a cable harness for parallel charging all 12 batteries.
I'll get back next week with the results.

They are as puzzled as we are.

0 Likes 0 ·
Mark avatar image Mark ♦♦ autimagic commented ·

I have had similar issues with my off grid AGM battery bank, but the deviation never got as high/bad as yours.

A few deep discharges + high power charge cycles (from the Multi via a genset) seemed to help significantly.

If the bank doesn't ever/often get cycled properly or charged with a sufficient charge current that is also a negative.

After the main issue is corrected you could also try using/adding one of the cheap 4x lead acid battery equalizers (search HA02 or BE48 equalizer), but I haven't tested them myself as yet.

0 Likes 0 ·
Mark avatar image
Mark answered ·

The first simple action that I would try is to give the batteries a deep discharge, say down to ~50% SOC and then to give it a high powered charge back up to 100% - ideally with a charge current of ~20% (at least 10%) the battery bank C20 capacity.

Monitor the charge current and keep the charger in absorption phase until the tail current has dropped down to ~1% the battery bank C20 capacity.

You should see some improvement after the first cycle but you will probably need ~3 cycles (maybe 1 per day) to see a good improvement.

Before you do this first check individual resting voltages to confirm that there is not an obvious issue with a single battery.

If that doesn't work sufficiently then take all the batteries out and wire them all in parallel, then conduct a ~12h charge at the appropriate absorption voltage - to help equalize things. If your charger/power supply doesn't have enough capacity to charge the entire battery bank in parallel then do it in groups. You could also do this first if you have the time and ability.

Depending how long it has been like this, it's possible that one/some batteries could have some permanent damage.

Also note that the mid point voltage is exactly that - one/some of the individual batteries could be even worse when measured separately.

2 |3000

ehsab avatar image
ehsab answered ·

I didnt know you could have one batterybank to more then one inverter/charger.

When i read your post it sounds like you have Three independent quattros connected to the same batterybank (3x48v strings)?

1 comment
2 |3000

autimagic avatar image autimagic commented ·

Correct, three independent Quattros and one bank.

We've been doing like this for years.

Remember to limit your charging current and make sure charging settings are identical across the Quattros.

0 Likes 0 ·
JohnC avatar image
JohnC answered ·

This may also be being caused by a bad battery, even a single cell. After all, the reason why midpoint deviation is actually measured.

When being worked, this may also manifest itself in some batts getting hotter than others. Often detectable by just touching them, but a handheld IR sensor may help confirm more accurately.

Don't overlook. I've seen batts come from the supplier stone-dead.

2 comments
2 |3000

autimagic avatar image autimagic commented ·

Hi JohnC!

Thanks for the input.

A few weeks ago the supplier showed up with some really expensive conductive tester that measured about 2200 Siemens (+/- 40) in all batteries.

I have no idea how much deviation is acceptable, but they seem quite alike to me.

Just to compare; we measured a stone dead car battery to around 500 Siemens.

When a charging is completed as the graph shows, the boiling batteries are at about 25,5 degrees celcius and the rest around 22-23.

The batteries sits in a vented area at around 22 degrees.

Right now I'm waiting for the supplier to pass a cable harness and a 12V charger - then I'll try and balance the bank once more.

0 Likes 0 ·
JohnC avatar image JohnC ♦ autimagic commented ·

Yeh. What fascinated me was the 'crossover' between Vtop and Vbottom when the charge tapered off. Sorta like the batts are self-discharging from one side to the other when the external charge influence eased?

I've lived with multiple paralleled strings myself, and don't like them much. Sometimes just lifting a mid-string connector on one at a time can give a clue as to the offending string/batt. If you try this, allow a little time for something to 'happen'.

There's not much science in troubleshooting multi-strung batts. More of an artform. And no, I never mastered it either myself. But I did learn that even the smallest of clues can be important.

I wish you well with it.

0 Likes 0 ·
autimagic avatar image
autimagic answered ·

@Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff)

I got hold of a Phoenix 12V 50A charger and a breakout cable to 12x battery connections (all same length) from our distributor.

Left the charger in "normal" mode and had it charging for three days.

Disconnected all cables and left the batteries for ~4 hours to settle and had our distributor to measure the unloaded voltage of all batteries; Anything between 13.09 VDC and 13.27 VDC was the result!

Our distributor will try and get hold on a difference battery bank.
They suspect something is wrong with the batteries - who are all brand new.

Any ideas?

I still have the charger and breakout - I can do a lot of testing if you are curious - and I just want this to work.

An order for 12 new batteries has been placed and I was told just to connect the batteries for now (so we have light etc. in the truck).

I connected only the first string - and powered on only the first quattro;

Any great ideas? :-)

1576486120247.png (64.1 KiB)
1 comment
2 |3000

for one, after charging measuring resting voltage after 4 hour is kind of too short. But this doesn't have to be a problem.

Second: very probably some batteries have been 'hit' already when you've talked about 'cooking' batteries.

0 Likes 0 ·
autimagic avatar image
autimagic answered ·

@Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff)

Hi Daniel and all you others :-)

I totally forgot to get back to you on this one.

Thank you very much for all your ideas, advice etc!

Things were tried and tested.
We tried - once more - to balance the banks mentioned above.
No succes.

We removed all banks and got a bank of four brand new batteries of the same kind.
We had our supplier to balance them and install them. Exact same issue.

Then, your distributor sourced batteries of same capacity and type but a different brand (if you want details, brands etc. I'll happlily send you and email). They were balanced the same way and has been running without problems at all for about two months now.

Basically, I'm happy.
But also curious - and so is the distributor.
Neither of us can't explain what happened.

1 comment
2 |3000

Hi @autimagic

Thanks for the update!! good to hear it worked out in the end.

I'd very much like to hear what battery type didn't work out well, if you don't want to post it publicly, you can select 'viewable by moderators' below the 'submit' button.

0 Likes 0 ·
ddickov avatar image
ddickov answered ·

Hi there I had similar issues with my 48/1000/140 and I have 16 EFB yuasa, one of my batteries as mentioned above had a bad or lazy cell as the voltage difference matched exactly one cell plate in the battery, as mentioned also I discharged them all and charged again but not with the MPPT but with the Quattro it’s self I left all 16 in parallel for a week then connected them all again with the shortest possible means of cable and lugs and I haven’t had a problem since.

david

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic