question

Mikael avatar image
Mikael asked

“Do not invert neutral and phase when connecting the AC”, does this apply to a portable generator to?

Hi

I have just received my Multiplus II 48/3000. We plan to connect a removable generator to it, but I was wondering about one thing I saw in the manual. “Do not invert neutral and phase when connecting the AC”, does this apply to a portable generator to?

As the generator only have normal EU sockets Type F there is no difference between neutral and phase as I can see, without measuring.

Multiplus-IIGenerator
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

eiremos avatar image eiremos commented ·

Hello ,

In AC monophased when facing a plug , it is said that the phase is at the right

and the neutral at the left (living in Belgium so this will be the example taken for values)

BUT , i think that for a reasonnable and/or qualified person , measuring is a must .

Here is a way to do it with a voltmeter , to identify each sides of the AC :

Between phase and neutral is measured (more or less) 230v

Bewteen the phase and the ground is also measured 230v

Between neutral and ground is measured (at a normal situation) 0v

Then it become easy to identify were to connect* the cables on both sides -generator and Multiplus- (for example putting some different colored tape on the wire each time a measure is done before connecting to plugs)

*Being aware that if Multiplus II is connected on grid , the grid has to be disconnected first

and before connecting a generator , that leads to others and specifics procedures .

But probably because each case is different , i have not yet found (maybe there is) a specific and complet protocol for connecting a generator to a multiplus , here is what i found up to now : https://www.victronenergy.com/live/multiplus_faq

Thank-you

0 Likes 0 ·
1 Answer
Murray van Graan avatar image
Murray van Graan answered ·

That depends, if your generator is earthed properly (neutral bonded to earth) then you should most definitely not swop the neutral and phase around. Neutral is supposed to have a 0V reading between it and earth.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.