question

Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) asked

BlueSolar MPPT 150/35 max PV (will it work with 600Wp)?

Hello there,

I currently am using a MPPT 150/35 driven by 3x150Wp of Solar in parallel on my sailing yacht. This is well within the specs of the 150/35, which says 500W max. Usually I see around 350 up to 400W maximum at around 24-25A due to partial shading, which can't be avoided in a sailing environment.

Now I'm thinking of adding another 150Wp for a max. of 600Wp. That will give me hopefully another 6A to load my 12V house bank, but still below the limit of 35A. The manual says max. 500Wp but will limit outgoing current if oversized. But it does not say anything about the limit.

Is the limit the max charge current of 35A?

Does it do any harm to the 150/35 if I put 600Wp to it but still below the max. charging current?

Thanks in advance

Stefanie

MPPT Controllersoversizing mppt charge controller
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
JohnC avatar image
JohnC answered ·

Yes, that will work fine.

Best to ensure the panel you add is matched to the others, and you could wire them 2S-2P if you want. But I guess depends on your shade. The /35 will max at 35A into batt V, maybe 14.4V, so 504W. Good match.

Happy sailing..

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Thanks John! That helped.

I've been thinking a lot about 2S-2P. There's just too much shading due to either Mainsail and Boom, Windgenerator and Radar Dome. And it all depends on the course were sailing. AFAIK having them all in parallel still gives the best average output. Last summer I averaged 1.5KW/day throughout with peaks of 2KW/day with just 3 panels. They are flexible and sit on top of the Bimini at the aft end of my yacht.

Fair winds

0 Likes 0 ·
markus avatar image
markus answered ·

Hi Stefanie.

As John said, it will work.

Additionally: Have you seen this excel sheet? (v2.8) - VE MPPT Calculator

What is the Open Circuit Voltage of your panels?

It could bring advantages to connect them in serial instead of parallel to increase efficiency of your PV system.

Best Regards,

Markus

3 comments
2 |3000

Thanks Markus,

I didn't know about the Calculator. That answered my question :-)

Voc is 29,92V per panel. They are Wattstunde WS150FX.

As said above, shading is a major problem on sailing yachts.

Cheers,

Stefanie

0 Likes 0 ·
markus avatar image markus ♦♦ Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ commented ·
Welcome!

In sunshine conditions, yes.

I was thinking about sailing in rough weather conditions...

In bad weather, the harvest could be better tough. This strongly depends on your sailing preferences.

It would be rather easy to change the wirings from 4P to 2S 2P in case you want to check out the difference by yourself.

Happy sailing.

Markus

1 Like 1 ·
Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ markus ♦♦ commented ·

Right, thanks Markus

Prefer sailing in no wind and sun only. j/k

Seriously, I should give it a try. Will be in the Meds during next Winter, where I need every single amp.

Fair winds

Stefanie

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

MPPT Product Page

MPPT Error codes

MPPT 150/60 up to 250/70 Manual

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic