question

steve-1 avatar image
steve-1 asked

Rj11 connector on 50a buck boost

Next to the USB connector on my 50a buck boost charger, I have a rj11 connector. I have not seen this in any documentation. What is it for?

Orion DC-DC Converters not smart
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) answered ·

Hi Steve,

We are looking into what official info we can provide about this. You are correct that there isn’t any end user documentation yet.

I can say that it is an input and not required for normal operation. Hopefully I can be more specific soon.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Stig Carpelan avatar image
Stig Carpelan answered ·

Hi @Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager)

Have you had time to look at what official info you can provide? It's only been 6 years. The marketing material and manual says that it can be used "for control purposes", but it would be nice to get some documentation about it.

3 comments
2 |3000

Hi @Stig Carpelan,

This port has no function in a Victron system.

0 Likes 0 ·
Stig Carpelan avatar image Stig Carpelan Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) ♦♦ commented ·

Hi @Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager)

I am aware of that, however many people use Victron products with other systems too, and Victron also has a web page dedicated to open source projects.

Also, I find it problematic that controlling via canbus is mentioned in the manual and other places, but no documentation is provided. I purchased the buck-boost charger so that I could integrate it with my system using canbus, but I noticed too late that documentation is not available.

Is the documentation going to be available ever? If not, could you maybe remove mentions of it from the marketing material / manuals?

0 Likes 0 ·
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) ♦♦ Stig Carpelan commented ·
Hi @Stig Carpelan,

Noted, and understood.

I know this is a long standing ticket, and I don't have this specific product knowledge myself to help directly.

I have just asked for some more support inside Victron, so will just have to see what happens.

0 Likes 0 ·
andre-de-kok avatar image
andre-de-kok answered ·

Dear all

I would like to explain why this connector is there.

We thought in the design to install a communication port for the future. This has its own protocol and works like a CanBus, but not a standard CanBus communication. We use 3.3 volts and it cannot be connected to anything, except the temperature sensor with switching options that are available.

In the future we may want to build a converter with which you can communicate to a Standard CanBus.

So in short: this connection that is being discussed can only be used for the temperature sensor with switching options.

Greets Andre de kok From Top Systems

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic