question

lonely-sailor avatar image
lonely-sailor asked

Can I change the little board on the shunt to the oposite side just for run better the utp cable??

When I put the shunt the rj12 port is down side and the utp cable dont look clean, I mean it needs to make a loop that I dont like. If I change the shunt to oposite side is the battery cable 2/0 that has a big and ugly loop. So if I change the little board on the shunt I can run the cables better and make a clean installation.

Also I need only one feet of utp cable, in the box come 30 fts of cable. Can I cut it and just put a new rj12 connector?

thank you so much for help

Jimmy (lonely sailor)

Help
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
spirou avatar image
spirou answered ·

Yes you can cut it and put a new connector in it. Don't know about the pcb.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Justin Cook avatar image
Justin Cook answered ·

@Lonely sailor, I'm not entirely certain what you're asking regarding the PCB; if you're asking whether you can literally put it on the other side of the shunt, the answer is no, since only one side has the mounting holes tapped into it. Could you, in theory, tap new holes into the brass to mount the shunt on the other side? Hmmm with the proper equipment probably, but then you're looking at potentially voiding the warranty on the unit, since even a minor modification to the shunt architecture can cause significant effects to its internal resistance, which will then have potentially significant repercussions to its accuracy.

Now, if you're asking whether you can turn the shunt around so that the PCB is on the opposite side, then the answer is yes.... you just have to be sure that your battery stays connected to the "battery" side of the PCB and all your loads and chargers stay connected to the "loads and chargers" side of the PCB. This may require that you take the PCB off and flip it around from its original mounting orientation... which might be what you were asking about to begin with.

Short answer: the shunt itself doesn't care which way it's mounted. The PCB is the critical thing, and if you want to reverse its orientation to better suit your install, that's fine so long as you ensure that your connections remain correct.

5 comments
2 |3000

lonely-sailor avatar image lonely-sailor commented ·

Exactly. Is just take off the PCB (little board) and flip it to another side. Thank you so much!!! I wanna keep the battery cable coming for the left side but the rj12 connector on the top of the shunt. The picture show up the actual position when I changed (flip out ) the PCB. The second picture is how is It originally.

0 Likes 0 ·
image.jpg (1.8 MiB)
image.jpg (1.7 MiB)
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ lonely-sailor commented ·

As you've noticed, when you turn the PCB, it can stick out a bit over the shunt surface, be careful with that when connecting the big cables!

I usually order some 'straight' rj12 cables in short lengths, they're so cheap I don't go through the trouble of shortening the standard cable.

0 Likes 0 ·
lonely-sailor avatar image lonely-sailor Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ commented ·

Thank you so much Danielle. I will check if the terminal of the cable make contact whit the PCB.

0 Likes 0 ·
Justin Cook avatar image Justin Cook ♦♦ lonely-sailor commented ·

@Lonely sailor yep, that works... batt in to the left, everything else out to the right (per top picture). @Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) makes a good point, though, I'd never noticed the PCB sticks out a little bit when you flip it like that and it definitely does warrant extra care when making your connections so you don't damage it!

0 Likes 0 ·
lonely-sailor avatar image lonely-sailor Justin Cook ♦♦ commented ·

Thank you Justin!!

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic