question

dirkmuc avatar image
dirkmuc asked

Venus OS & InfluxDB Grafana on one divice

Hi everybody,

I am currently setting up my RV with some Victron equipment (BMV, smart MPPT, etc) as a central element I use a pi with Venus OS.

My question is, is it possible to have Grafana/InfluxDB on the same device? I do not what to run a second pi just for that as energy consumption is always critical.

I am not a Linux guru and struggling installing the docker-composer on my Venus OS pi.

Thank you for any help and/or tips.

Cheers

Dirk

Venus OSRaspberry Pigrafana
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image
mvader (Victron Energy) answered ·

Hey @dirkmuc, in theory anything is possible; and this should be possible too. But I can imagine that it would require quite some patient work to make it happen.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

ben avatar image
ben answered ·

I'm sure it can be done, but as someone who runs a full influxdb setup on Rpi3b+, a few things would give me pause:

1) influx is pretty resource-intensive. You'd probably want to move up to the 4 and have more RAM.

2) influx is write-heavy in a busy setup, and RPIs use SD cards for storage by default. I've already destroyed one SD card after about a year of use. (Hint: either offload the database to a better disk, or image your system before you put it into production so that you can restore easily!)

3) Venus may be more critical for you than influx, depending on how you use it. If RPi venus is your primary way to get at your system for changing settings on your Victron gear (it is for me), you might benefit from paying the extra 100Wh/day to separate the concerns.

Just food for thought.

2 |3000