question

Michael Connolly avatar image
Michael Connolly asked

Doubting myself

I’m beginning to think I have made a mistake in my overall wiring for the RV. I have drawn a simplified diagram of the setup and I’m wondering if I need to change how the charging from the MPPTs are wired in.

I’m not seeing the net charge from the sun on the 712, in fact it’s only looking at the Neg wire coming out of the battery. So no netting off. Is this an issue? I don’t know! Having wierd SOG readings on the 712.

Also the cables connecting the two batteries should in my head make it like the MPPTs are connected directly to both batteries! True?

I’m probably overthinking this! It’s late and I should just put the phone down and stop typing!!!😳

Mick

MPPT ControllersBMV Battery Monitorbmv 712
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
wkirby avatar image
wkirby answered ·

Only one thing should be connected to the negative terminal of the battery, that is the shunt for the BMV-712. Nothing else.
If you connect anything else to the actual negative terminal of the battery, then the BMV-712 cannot "see" it.

Positive leads from MPPTS go to the + terminal of the battery, negative leads go to the "Load" side if the shunt, not the - terminal of the battery.

3 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Michael Connolly avatar image Michael Connolly commented ·

Ok so the neg wires from the MPPTs don’t go directly to the battery. Instead I try to fit them on the non battery side of the shunt. Thanks.

This might be a physical challenge! I’ll have a go.

0 Likes 0 ·
markus avatar image markus ♦♦ Michael Connolly commented ·

:o) exactly there, where "Charger And Load" is written on the shunt.

1 Like 1 ·
Michael Connolly avatar image Michael Connolly markus ♦♦ commented ·

Never spotted that before!!! Thanks

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

MPPT Product Page

MPPT Error codes

MPPT 150/60 up to 250/70 Manual

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic