question

djkarau avatar image
djkarau asked

Which MPPT for RV

I'm looking to install 10 x 320W panels on my RV. They have a Voc of 45.6V and a Isc of 9.1A. I will have a large 24V lithium LiFePO4 battery. My question is...which charge control(s) would work best for this system. My thoughts are 2 x 250/100's with 5 panels on each controller. Just not sure if I can use smaller units with a 24V system.

MPPT Controllers
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
JohnC avatar image
JohnC answered ·

Hi D. You won't need 2x 250/100's. And those aren't cheap. Thank me later.. :)

In theory, each of your 320W panels could do 11-12A into 24V at typical charge V. In practice, and especially laid flat, you'll rarely (if ever) see > 10A. 2x of those panels in series would work fine for 24V batts. 10A is an easy figure to work with, so I shall..

Options..

*Strung 5S2P - 1x 250/100. Needs checking for panel temp & Voc.

*2S5P - 1x 150/100. Might help a little with shade, bit cheaper?

*2S & multiple smaller mppts, up to 5x. Best shade tolerance, more wiring, etc.

Run whatever you can think of through here: https://mppt.victronenergy.com/ Try with both spec-sheet & 'practical' figures to see the cost difference. Mix'n'match as you will. Your options, your money, your decision.. have fun choosing.. :)

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Schalk van der Merwe avatar image Schalk van der Merwe commented ·

Hi @djkarau,

Exact link: https://www.victronenergy.com/upload/software/VE-MPPT-Calc-3_3.xlsm

I heard there is a new online version of this also, cannot find it right now but this excel will work perfectly.

Contact your installer to help with this calculation, never spitball it. If it is a self install, contact MPPT supplier to help with this calculation, or follow @klim8skeptic advice: post datasheet of panels and min/max temp, someone will assist.

0 Likes 0 ·
klim8skeptic avatar image
klim8skeptic answered ·

Hi Djkarau,

The 250/100 is rated for 2900w of panels @ 24v battery. A little bit over wont hurt, the controller will limit its output.

Depending on how cold it gets, and the panels temp coefficients, limits how many panels you can wire in series. Don't go over the mppt's input voltage limit of 250v, or the smoke will come out!!!!

Please post on how cold you expect things to get, and a link to your panels data sheet.

2 |3000