question

gryphonkd avatar image
gryphonkd asked

Charge a 36v ebike with MPPT 100/20-48

Hi Community,

I'm building an e-bike with 36V Lion.

Was wondering if a little mppt 100/20-48, fed by 3x12V 100w panels will cut it?

From what I'm reading Voc of 66 (at normal temp) should be all good?

Secondary question; I'm assuming if I setup controller for 36V battery; then load circuit output is locked to 100ma? Asking; can one nominate output voltages for the load circuit independent of the configured battery voltage?

Thanks

MPPT Controllers
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
safiery avatar image
safiery answered ·

There is a 36V option now on the 100/20-48 and it have all the programming flexibility. Load the demo on Victron Connect app. Should work fine.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

gryphonkd avatar image gryphonkd commented ·

Wasn't aware of demo mode in the app - that's COOL.

0 Likes 0 ·
klim8skeptic avatar image
klim8skeptic answered ·

Hi G..

"Was wondering if a little mppt 100/20-48, fed by 3x12v 100w panels will cut it?"

Sounds good. You will have to manually set the controller to 36v battery.

You will have to program your battery charge voltages in as there are no Lion pre-sets.

Do not ever let the PV voltage go over 100v.

"Secondary question; im assuming if I setup controller for 36V battery; then load circuit output it locked to 100ma? Asking; can one nominate output voltages for the load circuit independant of the configured battery voltage?"

Unsure what you are asking.

9 comments
2 |3000

JohnC avatar image JohnC ♦ commented ·

Unfortunately that 100/20-48 has no 36V option, and perhaps the 48V settings may not stretch as far as necessary? Victron's closest for 36V is the 150/35.

0 Likes 0 ·
Justin Cook avatar image Justin Cook ♦♦ JohnC ♦ commented ·

@JohnC, the 48v 100/20 actually has added the 36v option :-)

0 Likes 0 ·
100-20-48.jpg (39.3 KiB)
JohnC avatar image JohnC ♦ Justin Cook ♦♦ commented ·

Hmm. Hasn't made it into any of the literature yet. Still called '48V'? Oversight in the app? I haven't one to test, but I can ask..

0 Likes 0 ·
Justin Cook avatar image Justin Cook ♦♦ JohnC ♦ commented ·

Nah, I just tested one this morning, it's legit. It's called the "48v" and its default setting is 48v, but you can dial it back manually to any of the other three settings.

0 Likes 0 ·
JohnC avatar image JohnC ♦ JohnC ♦ commented ·

Just an update on this. Guy has asked internally for clarification. But it is Saturday. A little patience..

0 Likes 0 ·
klim8skeptic avatar image klim8skeptic ♦ JohnC ♦ commented ·

Different versions of the manual are, well different. The current data sheet need updating.

12 September manual, V11

2 July manual, V9

0 Likes 0 ·
gryphonkd avatar image gryphonkd commented ·

What I meant by the secondary question; I can't see anywhere in the VictronConnect app that allows you to specify the voltage output to the 'Load' circuit independently, so I am assuming it is locked in step with the voltage you specify for the battery.

In the case of specifying 36v or 48v battery configs, my understanding is that the load circuit will supply 36v or 48v respectively, and will not supply 20A, but only 100ma, as it is intended to drive a relay.

In other words, can you specify having a 36v battery, but also specify a 'stepped down' 12v output to the 'load' circuit?

0 Likes 0 ·
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) ♦♦ gryphonkd commented ·

The load output is fixed to the actual voltage of the battery side of the DC bus. There is no step up, or step down DC to DC conversation for that output.

You cannot specify a different load output voltage to battery voltage.

0 Likes 0 ·
chrisjw avatar image
chrisjw answered ·

Hi all,

I'm working on a very similar topic and wanted to double check (before I buy) that the Victron 100/20-48V indeed can charge a 36v Lion battery? And an additional question; can this particular setup only function with x3 12V 100 Watt panel's? Or can the 100/20-48V handle a lower input from the panels (say x2 12V 100 Watt panels) and still up the voltage to charge the 36V battery? I am building a solar trailer for my ebike and will most likely be limited to x2 panels max. I have come across the Genasun Boost MPPTs which specifically note that they can boost lower inputs to the desired outputs for battery charging - though I think their versatility is much reduced compared to the Victron products and would prefer the latter if it will work.

Any answers very much appreciated.

Many thanks,

Chris.

1 comment
2 |3000

jex avatar image jex commented ·
Hi Chris,

for what it's worth, the victron mppt's are not capable of boost converting which means they can't up the voltage for the battery if it comes in lower from the solar panels.

0 Likes 0 ·