question

mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image
mvader (Victron Energy) asked

Venus OS v2.40~37 available for testing

Hello again all,

After releasing v2.40~34 on October 10th, now we've released v2.40~37 for testing.

If you don't know what this post is about: this is about our GX Product range, and this post is aimed at all the members of the Beta test group. See this information on how to join (and leave) that group is here.

Enjoy the testing. If you see any issues, please post below. Thank you.

Matthijs

Changes from v2.40~34 to v2.40~37

Bug fixes

• Fix race condition that made Remote Firmware updates and/or Remote VEConfigure not always work. Bug was introduced earlier in the v2.40 development. Thank you @Elimac for reporting.
  • Fix bug that caused far too much logging for systems with a IMT Solar Irradiation sensor. Thanks @Mark for reporting. Introduced in v2.40 development.
  • DVCC / Share Current Sense:
    • fix bug that caused the current to be sent a factor 100 too small to the solar chargers. Introduced in v2.40 development.
    • also send the current to the VE.Can Smart Chargers. (ie. the new models introduced in last months).
  • Fix bug in VE.Can driver that made it necessary to do an extra reboot after an update. Bug was introduced during v2.40 development. Thanks at various people for reporting.
  • Fix jittering alarm on Z-Cell Redflow batteries. Thanks to Simon for reporting. Introduced in v2.40~25, fixed in v2.40~37.

New features

• Add notification when solar charger firmware or inverter/charger firmware is too old for use with DVCC.
  • Add notification when multiple managed battery systems are connected while using DVCC. It can handle only one; not multiple at a time.
  • Octo GX and Venus GX: the push button do things (reset network settings as well as enable/disable the wifi access point, I'll elaborate later). And the LED now shows the WiFi Access Point state.
  • Add transmitting inverter/charger data to the new NMEA2000-out function
  • Identify BYD B-Box L battery separately; to distinguish it in the VRM Device List page from the Pro batteries.

Under the hood changes:

• Update Sunxi Linux kernel to latest 4.19 release
  • Prepare for new GX Device
  • Add system response time monitoring
  • Add extended canbus-bms protocol (not used yet)

end.

For earlier changes in v2.40; see previous post.

Venus OS
17 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Elimac avatar image Elimac commented Ā·

Hello!

I've installed this update, but something is strange... can't diagnose yet what it is. I've noticed that my USB connected MPPT 100/20 had its load output disabled so I went to see the Venus GX in loco. I saw the red LED blinking all the time, but no notifications in Venus OS. I've done hard reboot but the LED is always blinking red.

Also, I saw some noticable sudden drop in solar production, but is raining now and can't be sure if is a problem. I have disabled DVCC for the moment and it seemed to be related, but can't be sure, sun is now very dimm. Fell free to take a look, I'm considering making a rollback.

0 Likes 0 Ā·
Elimac avatar image Elimac Elimac commented Ā·

The MULTIs were making a strange periodic noise which I don't rembember hearing before (subtle noise, low volume). Plus, I didn't feel comfortable leaving the Venus withe RED light overnight, so I rolled back to ~34.

The fact is the strange noise has disappeared.

0 Likes 0 Ā·
Elimac avatar image Elimac Elimac commented Ā·

I see now the led being red must be related to this:

"And the LED now shows the WiFi Access Point state." - I have my deviced with wired connection, no Wifi configured. Must be it, so no issue with led, most probably.

0 Likes 0 Ā·
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ā™¦ā™¦ Elimac commented Ā·

Hi! MPPT Load output issue has been fixed. I've made an issue to briefly check that that LED is about; and I'm quite sure that the rest are coincidences / not related to Venus v2.40.

0 Likes 0 Ā·
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ā™¦ā™¦ mvader (Victron Energy) ā™¦ā™¦ commented Ā·

Hi! The red led indicated that you had switched the wifi access point off. It was intended to be orange. But the red and We changed it now:

Slow blink: access point off

Fast blink: access point on.

and only led used for this is the green one, no more red.

Thanks!

0 Likes 0 Ā·
ray-mont avatar image ray-mont commented Ā·

Hi @mvader (Victron Energy Staff)

why is the VRM twoway connection in ā€œdienstenā€ and not in the VRM setting?

same as in version ~34

0 Likes 0 Ā·
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ā™¦ā™¦ ray-mont commented Ā·

Hi Ray, I wasn't really paying attention; and now its too late to make this change

I've made a note; to look into it later.

Thanks again.

0 Likes 0 Ā·
dlo avatar image dlo commented Ā·

Good evening,

I recogniced, that the charging behaviour changed compared to older firmware versions which is not suitable for me.

At first a few word to my system

• CCGX in ESS mode
  • MultiPlus 24/5000/120-100 (FW 465, DVCC enabled)
  • Fronius Galvo at AC1 input
  • 2x MPPT100/15 (FW V1.46)
  • Winston Lithium batteries
  • Batrium CAN Bus BMS with setting to charge the batteries to a max. SOC level.

With version 2.40-37 the batteries were charged to max. Batrium SOC setting, then Batrium BMS changed charging state to OFF

• Fronius was throttled - as expected
  • but MPTT chargers donĀ“t reduce their charge current which results in a rising SOC which is not allowed.

When I switch back to 2.40-34 also the MPPT chargers were throttled, as I was used to see.

@ Victron team

In my opinion complete charging must be stopped according BMS advice. Can you modify the firmware to old charging behaviour?

I have to use the old version until this is solved. Many thanks in advance.

Kind regards Dietmar

Batrium BMS

0 Likes 0 Ā·
1572717936679.png (20.3 KiB)
Izak (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image Izak (Victron Energy Staff) ā™¦ā™¦ dlo commented Ā·

Dietmar, can you provide a VRM site so that I can look at this?

0 Likes 0 Ā·
jeroen avatar image jeroen ā™¦ dlo commented Ā·

Hello Dietmar, this should have been fixed in the latest candidate version. Can you confirm that?

0 Likes 0 Ā·
dlo avatar image dlo jeroen ā™¦ commented Ā·

Hello Jeroen, with new 2.40~46 firmware the charging power in "charge not allowed mode" is about 24W - I tested an about hour ago, so I connected a power supply to the input of one MPPT charger.

With firmware 2.40~34 charging power is 0.

Summary
In charge Mode the charging power will be increased as I expect. But when a BMS do not allow charging the charging power / current should be zero. Would you please check that again?
Best regards, Dietmar

0 Likes 0 Ā·
fw-2-4046-24w.png (67.5 KiB)
240-34-ok.png (66.2 KiB)
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ā™¦ā™¦ dlo commented Ā·

UPDATED BELOW TEXT (I made a thinking error in the first iteration).

Hi Dietmar,

I'm not sure why the MPPT would not be stopped from charging when the BMS tells it to stop.

But be aware that its usually not a good idea to send a "charge current limit = 0" when the battery is full. Because that will also prevent any AC loads to be powered by MPPTs, as well as prevent feed-in to occur.

The better solution is make the BMS send a lower charge voltage instead, when the battery is full (which will effectively stop the battery from accepting current, while still being able to pass power from the MPPT to the inverter/charger and thereby to the loads/grid).

But all that doesn't explain why the MPPT doesn't stop charging when you send the system a CCL=0 Amp.

0 Likes 0 Ā·
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ā™¦ā™¦ mvader (Victron Energy) ā™¦ā™¦ commented Ā·

updated my previous comment

0 Likes 0 Ā·
dlo avatar image dlo mvader (Victron Energy) ā™¦ā™¦ commented Ā·

Hello mvader,

many thanks for your explanations.
Today I rolled back to 2.40~46 and the charging from MPPT stopped as it should be.
I have no clue why it did not work yesterday.
So the fix is working. I wish you a nice day.

In general
I have to say that I donĀ“t know in detail what Batrium BMS is sending to CCGX. But I can see under Batrium parameters that the CCL will be set 0 if charging is not allowed.
Charging allowed

Charging not allowed

0 Likes 0 Ā·
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ā™¦ā™¦ dlo commented Ā·

hi ok, issue closed then. Thanks for confirming!

0 Likes 0 Ā·
john-hagtharp avatar image john-hagtharp commented Ā·

Hi,

I was unable to disable my scheduled charging in ESS settings. It would appear to be disabled but going back a level in the menu would show it still enabled. The system was still charging.

Reverting to 2.40~34 did not help.

Reverting to 2.33 fixed the problem.

John

0 Likes 0 Ā·
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ā™¦ā™¦ john-hagtharp commented Ā·

Hey John, this was fixed in v2.40~40 ; thanks for the report!

0 Likes 0 Ā·
2 Answers
Rob Duthie avatar image
Rob Duthie answered Ā·

Venus 2.40.34 testing OK so far to date. The only quirk is the WiFi works Ok just that when you change over to the WiFi
setting there is time lag of about 30 seconds before the symbol shows itself on the top bar, as in the last version it was automatic and instant.
So for it work just by unplugging the LAN cable wifi will start up OK, and vise versa it will kill the wifi when in plugged in It might catch some people out thinking that it does not work and it does. this is now fixed in 2.40.36 -38

Just a note on the VE.Bus smart dongle with VEConnect when connected to the Multiplus units it shows just the battery voltage, Is there going to be an update on the software
so it can show more data like the AC power flows etc, as this would be far more useful when checking clients sites rather than logon onto their network etc? this would very helpful.

Is there any change to the CCGX and RPi for displaying the voltage and current reading under the Watts readings, as this would be very helpful in checking and fault finding.
Just like the battery readings already does this and is useful.
And one other request is to display negative values in the AC loads and Critical loads tiles. As when a PV inverter is connected to the AC output as it injects power
the AC loads shows zero watts, just a thought,. Then this would be useful as well.

So far testing of the other features in version 2.40.37-38 all good.

Bluetooth is working OK just need setup and passkey input area in services save setting it up via a SSH link screen. The bluetooth on and off feature in service works OK instant stop and start once it is configured via SSH.

Keep up the good work the venus software is getting better and better.

Regards

Rob D

NZ

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Elimac avatar image
Elimac answered Ā·

Hello,

Today I gave it another try. There is definitively something different about the communication with MPPTs.

Again, I upgraded to beta ~37 and my 3rd MPPT - a 100/20 connected via USB switched OFF its load output. I restarted this MPPT: 1st battery side, 2nd PV input. The load ouput is back online when I switch the battery side back on. However, after I switch ON the PV side, load output disconnects again.

If I restart the Venus, the load output does not come one either, but additionally I see all the other MPPTs ressetting to bulk. Voltage drops during more time. The PV outage is more prolonged than in previous versions.

I couldn't find a way to get my load output of the 100/20 to stay ON, so I rolled back again to beta ~34.

1 comment
2 |3000

mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ā™¦ā™¦ commented Ā·

Hi @Elimac, thanks. This has been fixed later in v2.40 development

0 Likes 0 Ā·

Related Resources