question

deeperid avatar image
deeperid asked

Battery Protect stuck on

I recently purchased and installed a 48V 100A BP and the app on my phone, tablet, and laptop all used to be able to shut the BP off by the switch in the app. Now the switch on the app moves and it shows โ€œdisabled by userโ€ but itโ€™s still on and active. If I change the setting on one device I see it changed when I connect on another device. It seems like the relay is stuck... what can test or do to address this?

Battery Protect
2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Could you please post a simple system diagram that shows how the battery protect is installed in the system?

0 Likes 0 ยท
deeperid avatar image deeperid Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) โ™ฆโ™ฆ commented ยท

Hi Guy - thank you for responding! Here's my setup, let me know if anything is unclear.

0 Likes 0 ยท
img-0004.jpg (764.6 KiB)
3 Answers
Justin Cook avatar image
Justin Cook answered ยท

@DeeperID, I will of course defer to @Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager), but I think you'll find that your Smart BatteryProtect has been irreparably damaged by connecting it to your inverter; my experience on the test bench with these is that the high inrush current of the inverter when it charges its capacitors damages the FETs inside the SBP, causing them to weld -in your case- closed.

The BatteryProtect range of devices is not designed for usage between a battery and an inverter, largely because Victron inverters have their own programmable low-voltage shutdowns, which makes the SBP entirely unnecessary to use in this configuration. In fairness to our customers who are using the SBP in this configuration, I haven't seen it spelled out in Victron documentation that they are not to be used between batteries and inverters, but we've been specifically told by Victron technical support that this is not a supported connection and that it will invariably damage the SBP.

5 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

deeperid avatar image deeperid commented ยท

Thank you, @Justin Cook & @Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) - I understand now and will rewire & let the inverter configs prevent it from over discharge... it's a bummer this wasn't pointed out considering I actually read the manuals. How do I go about replacing this since it's effectively useless now? I purchased this on Amazon and the 30day return window has lapsed (sept 17 this year)...

0 Likes 0 ยท
Justin Cook avatar image Justin Cook โ™ฆโ™ฆ deeperid commented ยท

@DeeperID, my best advice is to get in touch with the seller (we sell on Amazon under the name Mobile Power Pros, so it's possible you bought it from us) and inquire as to their warranty exchange/return process. Given that this connection is not expressly forbidden in the documentation, my experience has been that Victron is excellent about honoring warranty claims on these devices even though the connection is not supported. Obviously this will just get you another SBP, which you don't actually need where you have it, but at least your new one will function properly and they really are excellent devices to have in a system, so long as they're connected appropriately.

0 Likes 0 ยท
Charles McCane avatar image Charles McCane commented ยท

I am using the same configuration with a SBP 220. Itโ€™s permanently in the closed position. I sent it back, recโ€™d a replacement and got same result again. Not only is the configuration fully supported by Victron, it is shown in the diagram in the included documentation. In fact we can say thats the purpose for which the product was envisioned. If the product doesnโ€™t work then it should be withdrawn.

0 Likes 0 ยท
ejrossouw avatar image ejrossouw Charles McCane commented ยท

From the Victron product page. "The BatteryProtect is a uni-directional device. It can only deal with current in one direction, so either current to a load, or current from a charger, but not both currents at the same time. In addition to this, current only can only flow from the Battery terminal to the Load terminal. In case of use with a load, the battery connects to the Battery terminal, and in case of use with a charger, the charger connects to the Battery terminal."

0 Likes 0 ยท
Charles McCane avatar image Charles McCane ejrossouw commented ยท

See SBP product pdf https://www.victronenergy.com/upload/documents/Datasheet-Smart-Battery-Protect-65-A--100-A--220-A-EN-.pdf

My built-as is identical to the diagram at the bottom. The load is a Renogy 3000W PSW inverter. It stays on, always, regardless of the load switch position in VictronConnect. At this point I donโ€˜t believe SBP is capable of interrupting the load. Even with the manual switch block removed, the load is uninterrupted. I waited over 2 mins but no disconnect.

0 Likes 0 ยท
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) answered ยท

@Justin Cook is correct, please contact your supplier for the remedy with your current unit.

I have chimed in to say the manual for the battery protect was updated this morning.

Points 3 and 4 under the heading installation and example wiring diagrams have been added.

BatteryProtect 65A 100A 220A: https://www.victronenergy.com/upload/documents/Manual-Battery-Protect-12V-24V-65-A-100-A--220-A-EN-NL-FR-DE-SE-SV-PT-TR-IT.pdf

BatteryProtect 48V 100A:https://www.victronenergy.com/upload/documents/Manual-BatteryProtect-48V-100-A-EN-NL-FR-SV-DE-PT-ES-IT-TR.pdf

Smart BatteryProtect 65A 100A 220A: https://www.victronenergy.com/upload/documents/Manual-Smart-Battery-Protect-12V-24V-65-A-100-A--220-A-EN-NL-FR-SV-DE-PT-ES-IT-TR.pdf

Smart BatteryProtect 48V 100A: https://www.victronenergy.com/upload/documents/Manual-Smart-Battery-Protect-48V-100-A-EN-NL-FR-SV-DE-PT-ES-IT-TR.pdf

1 comment
2 |3000

Justin Cook avatar image Justin Cook โ™ฆโ™ฆ commented ยท

Lord that's great news, the lack of documentation supporting our assertions that these aren't designed for this connection has been a royal PITA up to now!

0 Likes 0 ยท
mrbiz avatar image
mrbiz answered ยท

It looks I have exactly the same problem.

I bought the battery protect on eBay. I accumulated components over a 1.5 years before building my system.

It was working when I installed it. It is stuck on now.

I thought I was being really prudent protecting my battery from over discharge when using an inverter. How wrong I was!

A note in the manual would have cost Victron nothing. I read all the documentation before purchasing and did my research.

So it looks like I am left with a blue paper weight.

5 comments
2 |3000

Hi @mrbiz

Please make an RMA with your supplier. It is now made clear in the manual.

Not yet perfect, but constant improvements.

0 Likes 0 ยท
mrbiz avatar image mrbiz commented ยท

After a week of communication with Victon. I got the condescending response below. They might have requested photographs or a diagram.

0 Likes 0 ยท
1588230499013.png (45.3 KiB)

Hi @mrbiz,

I am not sure why it went back to Victron?

Did you use the form here to contact your original supplier?

That should have put you in touch with who supplied you the unit, and then they can initiate the return.

But it sounds like something else occurred in this case?

0 Likes 0 ยท
mrbiz avatar image mrbiz Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) โ™ฆโ™ฆ commented ยท

There was no serial number on the BP48 100A so I entered the product name as the instructions said to on the page. A Victron rep then asked me to confirm my location. I did that then they said my local representative would contact me. The next thing I got the unhelpful email advising me not to connect the BP to the output of my inverter and then they basically told me that even if the documentation did not tell me not to connect an inverter it was my fault.

Victron is a premium product. If they had replaced the product then I would have been very impressed and gone bought Victron in the future. Right now my impression is that their products are expensive and their customer service reps are condescending. I can get the same treatment from the Chinese and not pay a premium price for it.

0 Likes 0 ยท

Ahh, now I understand, that would explain it. Apologies for leading you to that form. I was expecting it to be straight forward from there with the serial number.

Units are shipped from Victron with the serial number located on a sticker on the back of the unit, like this:

It begins with HQ. It would be very strange if that was missing from yours?

Without a serial number or proof of purchase containing your suppliers contact details, it does make the after-sales support more complicated.

I think the next best thing to try now would be to look through your eBay, PayPal, or email purchase history records to find a receipt of where you purchased it from and try to get in touch with your supplier that way.

0 Likes 0 ยท
img-4612.jpg (131.2 KiB)