question

Matt Shea avatar image
Matt Shea asked

galvanic isolater and Phoenix Multiplus inverter

Hi

I have just moved into a Marina and I need a little advice. We have shoreline power going via 13 amp socket into the Multiplus inverter, which is a Phoenix Compact Multiplus 12/1600/70. This then runs out to a consumer unit for AC.

Do I still need a galvanic isolater or will the inverter do this for me? If I do need one where does it need to be fitted? between the consumer unit and the inverter or between the 13amp socket and the inverter?

Any help much appreciated

Thanks

Matt

installation
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
Justin Cook avatar image
Justin Cook answered ·

@Matt Shea, yes, you should still have both a galvanic isolator and an ELCI (if you're in the US or other ABYC-regulated marina); the ELCI should be fitted within 10' of the shore power inlet and the isolator should be located between the ELCI and the inverter. For your application, the Victron VDI-16A (Article code GDI000016000) would be perfect.

For very basic reference, I've attached a screenshot of a portion of a system diagram I recently put together for a prototype electric boat; the diagram shows the VDI-32A rather than the 16A that you'll need, but it gives you a rough idea of how the components should be arranged.

gi.jpg (42.4 KiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

JohnC avatar image
JohnC answered ·

Hi Matt. You could also use an isolation transformer, which is a more serious (& more expensive) approach.

https://www.victronenergy.com/upload/documents/Datasheet-Isolation-Transformers-EN.pdf

2 |3000

mike-g avatar image
mike-g answered ·

Are the Victron galvanic isolators a fail-safe design?

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic