question

albertccastro avatar image
albertccastro asked

Cyrix-ct 12 / 24V 120A, Intelligent Battery Combiner, 24V STARTER BATTERY

Hello

So I have the Cyrix-ct 12 / 24V 120A, Intelligent Battery Combiner. My truck has a 24v Starter Battery. My Domestic Battery's are 12v. Will it be safe for me to connect the Cyrix-ct 12 / 24V 120A as described in the manuel or should I have purchased another product? My worry is that it is a rather small device and generally 24v to 12v DC chargers are rather big... or should I purchase a 24v to 12v DC chargers and place in between the Cyrix and the domestic battery?

Thank you

Albert

Cyrix Battery Combiner
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Justin Cook avatar image
Justin Cook answered ·

@albert.c.castro, the Cyrix is not a 12 to 24 converter (the 12/24 in the device name just indicates that it is suitable for use in a 12 or 24v system, but it cannot convert between the two), so indeed this device will not work for you on its own.

I'll defer to someone else regarding whether it will even work if connected after a 24 to 12 converter, as I suspect that the conversion may confuse its internal voltage-based trigger points, but I'm not certain of that.

If you're looking to charge your 12v house bank off a 24v starter battery, I would personally suggest a Sterling B2B charger that takes 24v in and converts it to 12v out, such as the Sterling Power BB241235, which nets you up to 35A @ 12v from your 24v start battery.

I'm certain that there are other options and workarounds as well, but this is the simplest solution that comes to mind.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

albertccastro avatar image albertccastro commented ·

As I thought unfortunately the price of the BB241235 is well over my price range, I was told by a camper man that I need not throw it away as there is a solution to my predicament, but the question is what?? Thanks for your help.

0 Likes 0 ·