question

russell avatar image
russell asked

MPPT 100/20 Bluetooth & Load Issue

I purchased a new unit last May. I've continuously upgraded the firmware as new versions have become available. Recently my unit is no longer accessible via Bluetooth (doesn't appear when I search for a bluetooth device and I've tried with multiple devices). My load output is no longer functioning at all. The unit appears to still be charging my AGM battery up to about 12.4 volts. How can I regain access to the unit for troubleshooting and reconfiguration. If I attached a VE.Direct Bluetooth dongle, will I regain access? Is there a way to factory reset the unit?

Russell

MPPT ControllersBluetooth
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
russell avatar image
russell answered ·

I added VE.Direct to the solar charge controller. This gave me control again, and enabled my output load. Not a cheap fix since bluetooth is built-in to the device, but at least it's manageable again.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Justin Cook avatar image
Justin Cook answered ·

@russell, since the BT module F/W and the device F/W update separately, it sounds to me like perhaps the BT module failed a F/W update on the last iteration. I don't frequently see this happen, but I've run into it a few times. Now that you're connected via VE.Direct, I would try the following:

1. Update the device F/W to the latest ver 1.42

2. Check under "Product Info" to ensure that device Bluetooth is enabled

3. Disconnect the VE.Direct cable and try reconnecting to the device over Bluetooth

On my test bench I have found that some BT F/W updates fail until the device F/W is fully up-to-date, so I've occasionally been forced to load in the current device F/W via VE.Direct to Bluetooth dongle or VE.Direct to USB; then after loading the current device F/W I've been able to back out and successfully update the BT F/W.

1 comment
2 |3000

russell avatar image russell commented ·

I immediately updated my firmware when I reconnected to the device. Understanding the F/W is separate for the device and the internal BT module is key. Thank you, this will help me resolve any related issues moving forward.

0 Likes 0 ·
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image
Matthias Lange - DE answered ·

I would try to disconnect and reconnect PV and the battery (connect battery first) to force a restart.

2 |3000